This really made me sad today

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
“million more pets are crowding the nation’s animal shelters and facilities compared to three years ago, with more dogs than cats euthanized last year for the first time since one major animal advocacy organization began tracking those figures in 2016.
Shelter and rescue populations in the U.S. have surged by 900,000 overall since January 2021, and more than 359,000 dogs were euthanized in 2023, marking a five-year peak, according to animal advocacy group Shelter Animals Count. Meanwhile, 330,000 cats were euthanized last year”

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it say why? Financial stress? Are these like released ”Covid comfort pets?” There are also more people than three years ago, making, I guess, for more pet ineptitude. This makes me all the more determined to volunteer for TNR, since at least that helps bring down the numbers. Trudy1, when I feel daunted, I just try to focus on the little stuff, my patch, as it were. Sometimes the Big Picture can feel insurmountable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here’s the source if you want to google it

How many dogs are euthanized in the US every year? In 2023, the number surpassed cats
Marc Ramirez
USA TODAY

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the source, but I agree with Margot Lane;
This makes me all the more determined to volunteer for TNR, since at least that helps bring down the numbers. Trudy1, when I feel daunted, I just try to focus on the little stuff, my patch, as it were
:yeah: Exactly.

...and they need fosters more than ever as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All of the factors noted above play a role. But the bottom line is that until people stop treating cats and dogs as inanimate objects to meet their impulsive, momentary whims, this will not stop. Get a cat/kitten for a family member for some holiday, and decide some time later that they really don't want it. Even if they think about turning them over to a shelter/rescue, they find there is no room for them. So, what do they do at that point - turn them loose. It happens more often with cats because ignorant people think that cats will fend for themselves, and that is how they justify just dumping them.

Putting together a questionnaire that asks how they would treat a relative who cannot otherwise care for themselves and add a response column with the same questions for a cat or dog, there may be some who might think twice about taking on a pet without further forethought.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems like there are more pets surrendered to shelters and rescues lately because people have to move and aren't allowed pets in their new place. I think the cost of housing factors into that. If there are only two places you can afford to rent and neither will allow pets, and the cost of buying a house is beyond your reach.... what else can you do? I feel so bad for people who have no choice but to give up their animal companions.