Thinking About Getting A Playmate For My Kitten.

Elizabethriki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I’ve been having issues with my kitten biting me. His name is Albus and is now about 16 weeks old. We rescued him at about 5-6 weeks old so he never learned not to bite from his litter mates since he didn’t get the chance. I’ve gotten advice from different people that I should get Albus a playmate and I’m really considering it. What I don’t know is whether I should get another male or if it doesn’t matter it it’s male or female. One of my family members has been fostering a female kitten 1 week younger than Albus and I have a chance to take her before my cousin takes her back to ASPCA next weekend to be adopted by other people. I’ve heard that sometimes males fight for territory which is why I’m considering a female but I don’t know if that’s a good choice. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on whether I should get him a male playmate or a female.

I’ve attached some funny/cute photos of Albus sleeping just because lol

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Aww! Albus is adorable! If you do decide to get him a playmate, now would be a good time to do it. When cats are introduced as kittens, they usually befriend each other faster than they would as adult cats.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Regarding gender, the matchup doesn't really matter so much, as long as both cats are desexed.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also don't think gender matters too much with kittens under 5-6 months old. Can your cousin's foster cat come over to visit before next weekend?

Since 1989, I've had two cats, and owned three cats most of the time since 1994. The more the merrier, I say!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I’ve been having issues with my kitten biting me. His name is Albus and is now about 16 weeks old. We rescued him at about 5-6 weeks old so he never learned not to bite from his litter mates since he didn’t get the chance. I’ve gotten advice from different people that I should get Albus a playmate and I’m really considering it. What I don’t know is whether I should get another male or if it doesn’t matter it it’s male or female. One of my family members has been fostering a female kitten 1 week younger than Albus and I have a chance to take her before my cousin takes her back to ASPCA next weekend to be adopted by other people. I’ve heard that sometimes males fight for territory which is why I’m considering a female but I don’t know if that’s a good choice. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on whether I should get him a male playmate or a female.

I’ve attached some funny/cute photos of Albus sleeping just because lol
Hi, Elizabethriki Elizabethriki and Albus, and welcome to TCS! Albus is adorable. Of course!
Other posters have echoed my thoughts, which are basically along the lines of RUN! don't walk! to adopt that kitten!!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the prior posters, except that I don't think getting a second kitten is the best way to tackle behavioral issues. For biting, a loud "No!" will work over time. The problem with thinking a second kitten will reduce behavioral problems is basic math: if each kitten has 75% of the behavioral problems due to playing with each other, then the math is 2 x .75 = 150% of the behavioral problems.

Two kittens are fun to watch. Two kittens will likely play with each other, and quite possibly be healthier and maybe even happier. Lots of good reasons to get a second. It will just not necessarily be any easier on you as a pet owner -- that is the only part I'm disagreeing with.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe kittens should come in pairs if at all possible since it reduces the chances of them being bored and they can play with each other rather than with your hands and curtains. They're so high energy that they tend to be a bit much for one human. And a lot of people decide later on that their cat should have a companion or that they just want another cat, but it's a lot harder to introduce two adult cats than two kittens.

However, with that being said, I don't think you should get another kitten just for your current one. To me that's kind of like getting your cat a pet cat. You should definitely consider whether you want and can manage a second kitten. Even though they'll play together, it'll still be a lot of work and everything you have to buy and do will be doubled. If you get another, it should be for you, for the kitten you adopt, and for your current kitten.

Also, while a second kitten might help with your problem, I don't think it'll completely eradicate it. The only thing that can do that is training. Adopting a kitten often means getting a kitten who didn't have parents and siblings to teach it manners, so it's likely you'll just end up with two mannerless kittens. They'll probably help teach other about what's too hard, but not so much that biting in general is bad and what's too hard for them is probably different than what's too hard for you.

As far as sex goes, it doesn't matter. They're young. They aren't thinking about territory or mates. Just get them fixed before they do. I got two males. They get along fantastically. It's more in the personalities and energy levels than the sex.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elizabethriki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
Thanks for all the replies. My husband and I were reading them all last night and talked about it and we came to the conclusion that we will be getting a second cat. We are able to take Albus to meet the other kitten and we can see their reaction to each other. Of course we will be introducing them bit by bit in a safe environment and then go from there depending on their reaction. As far as whether we want or can afford another kitten, we’re not only thinking of getting another kitten for our kitten, it’s also for ourselves, but it’s mostly for him. We can afford the expenses.

Luckytheordinary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the prior posters, except that I don't think getting a second kitten is the best way to tackle behavioral issues. For biting, a loud "No!" will work over time. The problem with thinking a second kitten will reduce behavioral problems is basic math: if each kitten has 75% of the behavioral problems due to playing with each other, then the math is 2 x .75 = 150% of the behavioral problems.

Two kittens are fun to watch. Two kittens will likely play with each other, and quite possibly be healthier and maybe even happier. Lots of good reasons to get a second. It will just not necessarily be any easier on you as a pet owner -- that is the only part I'm disagreeing with.
Hmmmm. I disagree with your statement that two kittens who play rough will double the problem or make each of them play twice as rough as before (although I could have misunderstood :/ ) This is because when the kittens play with each other and one of them bites to hard, the other kitten will “reprimand” the other. I’m pretty sure kittens don’t enjoy the pain of being bit on their tail and therefore will not encourage the other kitten to do it. But, I agree that two kittens may not necessarily be easier (Can’t imagine trying to throw something out when two kittens want to bolt out the door :lol:.)

Good luck with your new kitty.:goodluck:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm kittens are great but a well behaved, well socialized 1 year old cat would be perfect to kick his behind, errrrrhhhhmmm teach you kitten manners. Plus that way you can give an adult cat a home since they have a harder time being adopted. Just make sure the cat gets along with other cats. I would also suggest letting the new cat or kitten get run of the house 12 hours a day while you are doing the introduction process (lock up your kitten in his/your room first.) That way the house belongs to both cats and they are not in a 'prison cell' all day. Plus both cats get to socialize with you around the house.

The loud OW or NO followed by ignoring the kitten for 15 minutes works great, I swear. I swear by the motto of "Toys not hands!" for playing with cats from the get go. Basically he is starting to come into his own, he wants to/needs to hunt and is hunting you. A bird watching window & a bird feeder might help or harness training him so he can safely hunt outside. (Yes he is adorable! :happycat:)