They're Fighting - Please, Please Help

Needcatadvice2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so this might be a bit long winded, but I think the details matter.

This is Bonnie: This is Clyde:
I retrieved Bonnie and Clyde approximately one year ago from an apartment near me. They had been left there for two weeks, were eating garbage, and were rather traumatized. I should be frank. I was not in the ideal state to take them, as I have some mental health challenges, but they were better off with me than they were in a shelter.

I've taken pretty good care of them. I have them each on a very healthy diet, I pay all kinds of attention to them, and they have the rule of the roost. Bonnie and Clyde have been together all their lives. Their former owner will not be coming back for them (he has severe schizophrenia and is currently in prison). I am glad to keep them.

However, there is a problem: they often fight. These fights are pretty vicious, and I don't know what to do. At the same time, they seem to hang out near each other, hardly interacting, but seeming to enjoy each other's company. The fights are ever so vicious though, and they are typically characterized by Clyde (who is far larger than Bonnie) attacking Bonnie, pinning her to the floor.

I worry that they may not be happy. A friend of mine has offered to take Bonnie, but I worry that Bonnie will be lonely during the day when she is at work.

So the pertinent question is: will Bonnie be happier in a home with less company but not being attacked, or would she be happier in a home with more company where she is attacked 1-3 times a day? Your feedback would be genuinely appreciated. I want what is best for these two. I love them both dearly. Further, I cannot rehome Clyde as he is very, very emotionally fragile. They were both abused, and it took Clyde ten months to adjust here. Bonnie is generally far more adaptable.

Thanks.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking them in, all cats should have someone who cares for and loves them. You say the fights are vicious, is there fur flying, or bleeding, hissing? Does Bonnie act scared, or fight back? I have two male cats that can seem to be fighting hard sometimes, it is actually play, but they do play rough! no one gets hurt, no one acts scared, neither cat cowers or goes and hides. I think you need to decide if Bonnie is afraid? Does she try to hide from Clyde?

You may try playing hard with Clyde especially a little more often? Do you have a feather wand or something like that that he can chase? Wear him out with it, play hard until he is panting a little. then give a snack :) sometimes a cat will just need a lot more exercise than they get indoor, and they can turn to rougher than normal play with a sibling cat.

However if Bonnie cowers throughout the day, hides from Clyde, or seems stressed more than happy, then you may need to re home her with your friend. But the extra play time with Clyde may help? others on here will have other ideas on things you can try i am sure. Good Luck!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
duckpond duckpond said everything I was thinking, especially that if there's no blood, it might possibly sound and look worse than it is. Their rules are different than ours. Thank you thank you for taking them in, and for working with them.