These last 12 months...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These last 12 months have been particularly heavy for me. I had to say goodbye to 9 cats, it is something that can devastate even the strongest spirit.

The first cat to go to the Bridge was exactly one year ago, December 24th, 2022. She was a cat that I had re-homed three years earlier. She fell off the window of this apartment on the 7th floor the night before Christmas. The lady who had her was beyond desperate, but I was just the same. You can imagine how I spent my Christmas last year.

Then, four months later, an incredible series of deaths began, sometimes only days apart between them.
April 18th, Frida, one of my feral cats that was living at the local shelter, died from a sudden anemia. She was a "cousin" of my Freya. She was 3 years old.
May 5th, only seventeen days later, Gigia, another cat of mine at the shelter left me. She had a severe liver disease caused from a prolonged period without eating. I believe she got accidentally caught in a space with no access to food and water for several days, maybe weeks. I had found her in desperate conditions nine months earlier, and it seemed she was slowly recovering. Then, one morning she collapsed and I had to ask the vet to put her to sleep. She was about 5 years old.
May 27th, and another cat died from a sudden anemia. This was Sunny, my Giada's sister. She had been adopted in 2019 and was surrendered to the shelter five months later because of her terrible character. She was 3.5 years old.
June 29th, only a month later, another young feral cat of mine, Dexter, died suddenly at the shelter. He was fine in the morning, he was dead in the afternoon. I asked the vet for a necropsy that showed he had an undetected liver cancer. Again, he was about 3 years old.
July 20th, Pistacchio, my Freya's father, died from an internal bleeding caused by some masses in his liver. A check-up done a few weeks earlier was good. His age was unknown, though the vet said he was around 10 years old.
August 30th, it was the turn of Titti, Freya's mother. She was living at the local shelter too. She quickly deteriorated, from fine to unrecoverable in shorter than a week. She could be about 5 years old.
September 12th, a cat of my colony was killed by a car during the night. She was found on the side of the road in the morning. She was 7.5 years old.
December 15th, this was a cat that joined my colony at the end of 2010. She never trusted anyone or any cat, she lived in fear for over twelve years, then this past spring she got severely ill and I took her to the vets who treated her. For her safety, when she was discharged from the clinic, she was held at the shelter and we found out that she was a cat that, for some reason, had lost her home and became a stray. At the shelter she re-discovered the joy of cuddles and love. She never fully recovered and she was put to sleep. Her age is unknown, but I believe she was at least 15 years old.

All of them but the one that underwent the necropsy, were singularly cremated and now are resting in my house.
I am really worn out.

This 2023 won't be missed by me, I can only hope that next year will be better.

RIP my sweet and beautiful souls 💖💖💖

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my gracious sakes, I had no idea.

she was held at the shelter and we found out that she was a cat that, for some reason, had lost her home and became a stray. At the shelter she re-discovered the joy of cuddles and love
When she joined your colony she gained a measure of peace and certainly of safety, and then was given an enormous gift, twice over, during her last days and at the end.

:vibes::hearthrob::redheartpump::rbheart::redheartpump::hearthrob: RIP babies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friends, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

So very many losses in so short a time. This is a thing that those who work with ferals know all too well. You are right, it tears at us, even when we know we have done our very best for these precious souls. And you did, and you will. My heart with yours.

So many bright stars in your Christmas sky...each one sending their Love to you, forever,

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more we love, the more we feel the losses......but Antonio, think of the love and happiness you gained with so many little ones showing their love and gratitude to the one who saved them. And you did, you became their hero, showing each and every one of them that there CAN be love and warmth in their world again.
At each death we lose a little part of ourselves that can never be mended. But each and every love we gained has built our souls and heart up a little more to take the loss. I truly don't know why there is so much heartache in this world, but you seem to have been chosen to love and take care of the broken, the unwanted, and the unloved. A task you find heavier and heavier over the years, but you keep putting one foot in front of the other and going on day by day. You could no more turn down one of those little ones than to stop breathing. you will be so blessed because you have given so much of yourself to these tiny orphans. A Saint in the cat world!
My husband is always saying, "You can't save them all!', but I try, and you do too, big time. Please know I am praying for you, your wife, each and every little soul you have lost, and the ones still in your care. God will listen, especially on this sacred day. There is light breaking now on the day of His birth, and I pray there will be a light in your darkness too. To comfort you, to soothe your broken heart. Because you deserve it, you have been everything to so many. Thank you, Antonio, from the bottom of my heart........RIP precious little ones. you will ALWAYS have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you all, until you meet again. And what a glorious reunion that will be!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
You are truly an Angel on Earth for all that you have done, do and will do for God's little creatures, Lord Bless you for doing this and I pray he gives us both strength (and everyone on here) to continue to care for them. And I am certain that every single cat appreciates all that you do for them, in their own little way...

Thank you...:rbheart: ❤

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't often come to this forum because it's so difficult for me but I happened to see your thread and wanted to express my sincere condolences and deepest regrets. :hugs: I hope 2024 will be less stressful as well as bring you comfort and joy.🙏 We need more Antonio's in the world.:rbheart: