The Worst August Ever!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like August, never did.
It has that bitter-sweet taste of end-of-season. The days are visibly shorter, the weather changes.
Over here it is the month when most services and shops are closed for holidays, and almost nothing works smoothly.
It marks the end of the good season and the beginning of the sad/bad season.
And it's only 4 months away from Christmas, another time of the year that I deeply dislike!

This year it has been a terrible month for me.
It started with the death of my beloved cat Pallina, and this marked the end of my life as I knew it. Everything is so different now... The end of an era.

Then, two days after Pallina's death, I found a kitten in a large waste bin. She was crying at the top of her lungs to make her heard. Nobody else was around. Her right eye had popped out the socket for an infection, I think, and she was in desperate need of help and veterinary treatment. And this is what I did!
She was 2 months old. Her eye was removed, she had stitches and a cone for two weeks. Since after the surgery she has been staying here, at home.

On the next day I spotted a kitten that was wobbling around. He was on the other side of a closed gate, I was unable to go to the other side. I tried to draw his attention, but I realized he was blind, so I made some noises to let him understand what direction to take. When his head was between the bars of the gate I grabbed him and took him to the vet who said that I was there just in time! Thirty minutes later and the veterinary cares would have been useless, she said. The kitten was 4 months old, severely dehydrated, starving and had received a head trauma that had impaired his sight and his ability to walk. He was much smaller than his age, the vet assessed his age by his tooth.
Four days of intensive care and he came home as well. He took a week to gain his sight back and the ability to walk too.

They are both domestic cats, they know how to live in a house and are not scared of humans. They have probably been abandoned by someone who was leaving for the holidays. Two different families had abandoned two different kittens.

These two kittens have a strong bond, they do everything together, sleep together, play a lot.
He is very shy and reserved, she's shameless. He is able to express himself fully only if she's next to him.
They share a lot, they shared the same evil initial experience, they share the fact that they have been rescued 24 hours apart by the same person, and they share the same house and food. They should share their future home together.

Nine days later I spotted something moving under a layer of leaves, and I found 6 kittens! Two of them were covered with larvae and flies, the other 4 had fleas. They were all in a bad condition, I also thought that one was already dead. They were cold and dehydrated. I fetched a box, put them all together in it and went to the usual vet who had to shave one of them almost completely to get her rid of the parasites that were eating her alive! They were 6 girls, four weeks old. After a week of vet treatments they went to a foster home, waiting for a new forever home as soon as they are 2 months old.

Ten days later another finding!
This time I was called because there were three kittens into a pit, floating on the filthy water. I managed to rescue them all and after drying and warming them up I took them to the same vet, which, I think, is starting to hate me!
Two girls and a boy, in a state of extreme hypotermia. They are 20-25 days old. The water was at 77°F, they were as cold as ice when I picked them out of that pit.
They, too, await a new forever home as soon as they are 2 months old. I'm looking for another foster home for them. They are currently in the care of the vet, who keeps them home with her.

I think that this has been the worst August ever, and I will remember it forever!
I would have just liked to stay and grieve for the loss of my Pallina, and this is the only thing that I haven't been able to do so far... It is not fair, she didn't deserve this.

And I still can't believe it when I read my signature...
That "Pallina (May 3, 2001 - August 8, 2018)" always leaves me speechless, it seems a nightmare to me, it is so unreal...

I don't like August, never did.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dear Friend... Indeed it has been a very bad August for you.. I, also, am not fond of August, as you can feel the change in the air, meaning that winter is not far away...

What an month for you.....
I have to tell you something: Did you ever think that Pallina and Lola are sending you these poor, sick, 'little ones'???

As a testament to your love for them???

They are guiding you to finding the kitties in need.

Both You and the Little ones, need love... Pallina and Lola are sending it to you... There is a 'grapevine' in Heaven. Your name and location is part of that grapevine..

Your knowledge, love, caring, are known to all the Universe. You are the recipient of love, from all...

Pallina and Lola do not want you to be missing kitty love... they want you to have it in an overabundance... They are making a dramatic point...

You have a huge heart.. You really do.. Animals know that.. That is why you are finding them... and people are coming to you~~~ they know you will take care of these lost ones... who are now, no longer long, afraid, sick...
This is because of you!!!

May you continue to find love, in everything you do...

(((Hugs)))

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to tell you something: Did you ever think that Pallina and Lola are sending you these poor, sick, 'little ones'???
I had the exact same thought
Pallina and Lola do not want you to be missing kitty love... they want you to have it in an overabundance... They are making a dramatic point...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You may not have realized it but St Francis of Assisi and you have a lot in common. Both of you have cared for and protected sick animals. But even more coincidental is that St Francis was born in Italy - sound familiar? ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear friends,
Your words have been of great comfort, but August 2018 will still remain a milestone in my mind.
Along with the bad weather that we unusually had this year, I will have a lot to remember.

I do not think that Lola and Pallina sent those kitties to me.
But, strangely, the first two findings were preceded by a dream of Lola. Lola came in two dreams of mine a few hours before I found the first two kittens. A signal?
But when I took them home, Pallina came into one of of my dreams and ordered me to get rid of them as soon as possible.

I will keep doing what is possible for my resources, but this doesn't deny the fact that the last month has been awful!

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are an angel. You have saved the lives of all those kittens. You are not replacing Pallina. You are saving the lives of others. I agree with all of the above comments. Over ten years ago I lost Opie, who I had for 19 years, I still miss her, but I rescue all I can and volunteer at a shelter that has found homes for over 3,000 cats last year. I feel I honor Opie, who was rescued from a parking lot at about 8 week old, by saving others.

I cannot say how much I admire you for saving all those kittens.
august was sad, but you should also feel very good about what you have done. Not everyone would have saved them.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, my friend. :bawling2: :hugs:
Now you have made me cry with the rescuer quote. How beautiful. I hope I am deemed worthy of one last rescue.

You, my friend, have just made in incredibly obvious how much of a rescuer you are. Give yourself some time. I strongly suspect that your new kittens will prove to be very consoling to you.

Margret

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Replying to this because of your kind response to my most recent thread. My heart breaks for the loss of your Pallina. The way you talk about her is how I feel about my Princess. We are like two souls connected and I am desperate to save her.

I feel that perhaps the sick kittens are being sent to you because of your love, kindness, and compassion for living things. Sometimes we need to focus on helping other so we can heal our own heart-wounds. I know this is late and probably an inactive thread but, (hugs)

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Antonio, I've been gone for a while from the forums, and am just now catching up. I'm so sorry to hear about Pallina... but I laughed out loud through tears on reading your dreams of Lola and Pallina. Of course Pallina would want to be the only kitty..She was your darling and sole focus for so long. Lola, on the other hand, reminds me of one of the ferals I work with, named Lady. When Lady can't care or comfort kittens (hers, or others that wander into her territory), she brings them to my mother and I, waiting patiently until we've caught on that there's a kitty in need.

Many best wishes. Our loves on the other side continue to reach back to us, even in unusual ways. Cat logic, what can I say?