The vets are confusing me to no end - 2 vets on Mati's case - both conflicting

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mati 18
Went in to vet for lethargy and some weight loss - she weighs 3.6 kilos.
Diagnosis - Anermia due to one kidney not producing RBC.

Am putting the blood test results here again - vet 1 wants a watch and wait with iron supplements and subq, with another blood test to determine whether she'll be needing Erythropoietin and/or infusion. He'll also have to SEDATE her with gas like he did yesterday to get the blood. Or not - maybe she just reacted to the shaving machine. Vet 2 who is also helping by phone says to start her on Doxy because he thinks the anemia is being caused by either FELV/FIV or mycoplasma. Vet 1 says there are NO indications whatsover from the labs or physical that this is what she's dealing with. Argh. Any insights?

Attachments

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hard to say have both vets seen your cat along with run blood work etc? going from what you posted i would go with vet #1 since they want to wait and see and run more tests etc. which to me is a more thorough approach in regards to finding whats going on. versus vet#2's guess at whats happening also if he thinks the anemia is caused by FELV/FIV why has he not ordered or recommended your cat be tested for that as well to help confirm things

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! First off, how did anyone determine anemia due to one kidney not functioning correctly? To me that seems that it would have required at least an ultrasound to show something that would indicate the one kidney is either not functioning at all or at least functioning limitedly. I wasn't sure if that was done.

I believe one of those viruses (FIV or FeLV) can be tested for even if your cat has been vaccinated. Perhaps, both if you discontinued vaccines some time ago as many people do with older cats. Ask the vets about these tests - and if there is any more specific testing that can be done to confirm mycoplasma.

Both diagnoses could be correct because both do involve anemia. If it were me, I would be asking for these vets to consult with an internal medicine vet - both of them are likely to know of one - and it may be the same one since they usually work with specialty groups in close proximity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! First off, how did anyone determine anemia due to one kidney not functioning correctly? To me that seems that it would have required at least an ultrasound to show something that would indicate the one kidney is either not functioning at all or at least functioning limitedly. I wasn't sure if that was done.

I believe one of those viruses (FIV or FeLV) can be tested for even if your cat has been vaccinated. Perhaps, both if you discontinued vaccines some time ago as many people do with older cats. Ask the vets about these tests - and if there is any more specific testing that can be done to confirm mycoplasma.

Both diagnoses could be correct because both do involve anemia. If it were me, I would be asking for these vets to consult with an internal medicine vet - both of them are likely to know of one - and it may be the same one since they usually work with specialty groups in close proximity.
Indeed. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond - I just logged on after weeks of being sick with colitis.

You're so correct. We are literally in the middle of nowhere geographically and this one vet who didn't do any type of investigation other than make his dx based on labs alone is pretty much all we have. Otherwise I have to travel by buses 2 hours each way with her in a carrier which is so hard on both of us - and even then it's iffy on what will be the outcome. I am 63 and not in the best of health. I really don't know what to do at this point. But you totally said what I've been feeling about this situation all along. It basically can be anything - mycoplasma can be tested via PCR - called the lab myself to ask - it's simple and cheap. The vet who is close by is snippy and doesn't like me to push - which I always do when it comes to my felines - I seriously do not know how he'd respond if I asked him to confer with a colleague or if he even has any. He's more like a *this is how I do things and if you don't like it - go somewhere else*. Sigh.

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now Mati is twitching - is this a nutritional deficiency? I don't know. Dehydration? Has anyone dealt dealt with similar and found a good remedy?

We still have to repeat blood tests - getting there is a nightmare. We live in a war-zone right now.
She is getting nutrients
Sub Q

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Twitching in her sleep, or when? What kind of twitching? And, curious as to why you are thinking it is a nutritional deficiency. If she is eating cat food, most are nutritionally balanced with the proper amount of vitamins/minerals. A food intolerance might cause itchiness, but not sure about twitching.

But fleas can cause anemia - and what could be considered twitching, along with itching/scratching. Any chance she has fleas? Fleas can also carry the bacteria that causes mycoplasma, btw.

Hopefully, other members will soon see your post and offer more helpful information than I am.

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Twitching in her sleep, or when? What kind of twitching? And, curious as to why you are thinking it is a nutritional deficiency. If she is eating cat food, most are nutritionally balanced with the proper amount of vitamins/minerals. A food intolerance might cause itchiness, but not sure about twitching.

But fleas can cause anemia - and what could be considered twitching, along with itching/scratching. Any chance she has fleas? Fleas can also carry the bacteria that causes mycoplasma, btw.

Hopefully, other members will soon see your post and offer more helpful information than I am.
She just startles if she's lying down --- suddenly. It's her whole body. I think it could be nutritional/electrolyte related. She had a major flea infestation last year. It was horrible. I am definitely going to have to check her for this mycoplasma - so annoyed the vet didn't think to test her. Thank you so much for replying <3

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He really is one of the best out there - this after almost a month since we were at the last vet who chalked her anemia down to *age* and perhaps a kidney not producing red blood cells sufficiently. If you recall last vet used the IDEXX to compute everything - no other diagnostic was done. This cost me 400 dollars - from a fixed income. Third vet is 2 hours away. I have to figure out how to get there - without stressing Mati out in the carrier. We live in the boonies without a car.

I went through the blood test, and indeed according to the test very severe anemia - and most importantly non-regenerative anemia.
I have a little trouble believing this test and there are suspicious signs in the test that it is not reliable. (If you look at the blood count next to many values there is a scale #, this shows that the machine had difficulty identifying the components of the blood.
The graphs attached to the test are also incorrect)
I would suggest repeating the blood count, only if you get the same result again to start looking for reasons.
Old age is not a disease and should not cause anemia.
There is something that causes non-regenerative anemia and the cause must be found.
Regards

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At this point we need divine intervention - these resources do not apply to someone living in Israel or overseas, alas. I sold my possessions in the past, can do that again. No biggie at all if it comes to that. Am keeping all options open. Thank you.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet but have had at least three severely anemic rescues that are not little kittens. One was due to extreme infestation of parasites. In that case it was hookworms. The least expensive route at first might be a full treatment for different types of worms and other parasites as well as boosting nutrition. I don’t know if a kidney issue would make that or high iron contraindicated but maybe your vet could tell you. There are many causes of anemia and anemia can cause many symptoms. Have you noticed and black stool? That was the first sign in one rescue before lethargy hit. Loss of appetite followed. ( This was due to blood loss in the intestines from worms) I happened to have read some information on this when I was dealing with the most recent of the sick kitties. It is something you can search by googling “Anemia in cats Cornell University”
It does mention the hookworms, fleas and ticks , mycoplasma as well as other causes with symptoms, treatments snd even tells a bit about blood work. and kidney issues and However, maybe the vets will understand the stress on the kitty due to having to travel as well as expense and be able to determine some way to begin treatments that may provide an immediate plan of some action? If it is Felv , with my kitty it is an immune boost via high iron foods but with parasites in another cat it was treatment for the hookworms and diet. I do understand that knowing the cause is of great importance but also boosting her up may begin some relief to her system. You can ask. By the way, all of my adult kitties did recover. The Felv cat is now almost 17 years old.

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet but have had at least three severely anemic rescues that are not little kittens. One was due to extreme infestation of parasites. In that case it was hookworms. The least expensive route at first might be a full treatment for different types of worms and other parasites as well as boosting nutrition. I don’t know if a kidney issue would make that or high iron contraindicated but maybe your vet could tell you. There are many causes of anemia and anemia can cause many symptoms. Have you noticed and black stool? That was the first sign in one rescue before lethargy hit. Loss of appetite followed. ( This was due to blood loss in the intestines from worms) I happened to have read some information on this when I was dealing with the most recent of the sick kitties. It is something you can search by googling “Anemia in cats Cornell University”
It does mention the hookworms, fleas and ticks , mycoplasma as well as other causes with symptoms, treatments snd even tells a bit about blood work. and kidney issues and However, maybe the vets will understand the stress on the kitty due to having to travel as well as expense and be able to determine some way to begin treatments that may provide an immediate plan of some action? If it is Felv , with my kitty it is an immune boost via high iron foods but with parasites in another cat it was treatment for the hookworms and diet. I do understand that knowing the cause is of great importance but also boosting her up may begin some relief to her system. You can ask. By the way, all of my adult kitties did recover. The Felv cat is now almost 17 years old.
Hi, no black stools. I think this is due to a double whammy last year - attacked/abcess/major flea infestation. She has always been PLEADING to go outside - against better judgment I let her go. She was protecting the house and got attacked. It was basically a nightmare. Fleas everywhere. On her - me - the rooms - I thought I would die, literally. So - she had the abcess - took her to the vet (same one who just did blood labs) and she was already anemic THEN. Fast-forward - the numbers just continued to drop. I think she got infected - either with mycoplasma or something else. Am dealing with so much health-wise I can't muster up the energy to get her to the other vet 2 hours away - am giving her nettles, iron, vitamins, subq and as much fresh air, love, heat and happiness as we can conjure. Also de-wormed her 3x since last year. This week or next will have to find the energy to take her again to get re-tested and figure it all out - again.