The Tail of WB my feral friend

rocketman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 4 months ago I moved into an apartment just on the edge of Memphis and shortly after moving in I started to see a feral female Manx who had just had a litter of 4 kittens. They would come out from under the fence just opposite the driveway in front of my apartment and sit on a concrete drainage cover to soak up some sun and play. Since I had rented a semi enclosed car port right across of my apartment I started to put out a large bowl of dry food each day which I could tuck between my covered motorcycles and the adjoining garage wall. this kept the food bowl pretty well hidden from view, not being sure if the apartment management would object. As it turns out they hardly ever come back to this end except for the maintenance guys who are very laid back. As winter came on I put a shelter out there, again being between the bikes and garage wall, consisting of a large plastic storage bin with an opening on one end and lined with several fleece blankets. Shortly after that two more feral cats showed up, a large all black male and a small tuxedo colored female. So now with three adults and several kittens I started mixing in a can of wet food with the dry food each morning. That was generally all gone withing minutes so put out more food each afternoon. Sometimes the large male would use the shelter or several of the kittens as they matured but it often remained empty as the cat seemed to have found shelter in the tree line behind the fence. Then about two months ago Whitey (the black cat) and WB (the small black and white female) would start showing up at my front door each morning waiting for me to come out, and would meow rather loudly as they followed me cross the drive to the shelter.
Then about a month ago as I was checking to see if they would waiting for me before putting out the food, I had left the front open a bit and when I turned around with the food bowl in hand, WB had come inside just past the front door! So I put a small bowl of food for her just inside and got another bowl to take out the shelter. Over the next few weeks WB would come further further into the apartment, a one bedroom with a decent sized
living/dining area in front. Soon she was coming to the kitchen, meowing and demanding I hurry up and get the food ready! Then we would play and she would explore a bit then leave. Now over the past two weeks she spends more and more time inside and last week spent the night after coming in and jumping up on the bed and while I distracted her with one hand, I was able to reach around and pet her with the other. At first she wasn't to sure about this but after several minutes she calmed down and over the past week she not only lets me pet her, but will come and demand attention but rubbing against me, follow me around let me rub her tummy and even pick her up! She's just tiny bit of thing, not much more than 7 pounds so probably still less than a year old but has become very affectionate and purrs and purrs and purrs when petted.
she still spends most of her time under the bed or looking out the back patio door and we are working the issue of the using the cat box, pees in it but poops in the cat bed. But better that than the rug! She does cry to go out in the morning but I am trying to keep her in as much as possible and so far she has returned each day if she does get out. So this Tuesday she is off to the vet for checkup and shots and then to get fixed.
I have to say I had been really lonely lately due to a recent breakup with my partner of 22 years and not knowing anyone in Memphis having just moved here from DC but she has brought a lot of joy as we have begun to bond. The first time she let me pet her I admit shed a tear or two of joy! (yeah, I an old softy esp. when it comes to cats, having lived with them my whole live.)
so wish me luck on my journey, this has been much more rewarding than simply going to a shelter and getting a domesticated cat.
So that's the Tail of WB ( short or White and Black). Hope it wasn't to long winded and I didn't leave out to many words too many misspeeling < (intended) I'm severely dyslectic and writing is a real challenge although I enjoy it.
Jeff aka Rocketman < My motorcycle handle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rocketman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and I forgot to mention that while she does spend most of the time under the foot of the bed, she will come out when I check on her, let pet her, purr and give me lots of "love bites" very gently and last night she got on the top of bed with me several times and laid against my leg before jumping back down. I am hopeful that once shes fixed and spent more time she will stop crying to go out as I am sure she missed her community friends. Especially the all black one that I would see her play with and those nights they slept together on the patio chair on the back porch. Its really hard not to give in and let her out, but I know its really in her best interest as in/out cats tend not to live nearly as long and I want us to have long and happy life, hell she may outlive me as I'm 72! :lol2:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so glad you took her in!! She may want to go out from time to time, but she will eventually adjust as she obviously knows that your home is really the best place to be! I hope all work out at the vets and they give her a clean bill of health.

Who knows, maybe once you get this settled with her, you can work on Whitey! ;)

Btw, you can try a cardboard box lid filled with soil or whatever media she used to poop in when she was outside and she if she will use it! You can place it next to or nearby her litter box. If she does use it, you can gradually reduce the soil and start adding some litter to get her eventually understand that the litter box is for both pee and poop.

You can also take some of her poop and place it in her litter box that she uses for peeing, that might get her to realize she can use the box for both.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is exactly how I got my avatar Lily and she is now an indoor only pet. She was born to a feral mother under a house on my street, along with three other kittens, had to be relocated to my back property, and slowly became very interested in me, the house, and the safety it represented. She would not stay inside however, until I brought her almost identical sister inside. Both have completely turned into house cats, although the black and white sister refused to change and lived outside with the other ferals.

Very sweet how this little cat chose you.

rocketman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so glad you took her in!! She may want to go out from time to time, but she will eventually adjust as she obviously knows that your home is really the best place to be! I hope all work out at the vets and they give her a clean bill of health.

Who knows, maybe once you get this settled with her, you can work on Whitey! ;)

Btw, you can try a cardboard box lid filled with soil or whatever media she used to poop in when she was outside and she if she will use it! You can place it next to or nearby her litter box. If she does use it, you can gradually reduce the soil and start adding some litter to get her eventually understand that the litter box is for both pee and poop.

You can also take some of her poop and place it in her litter box that she uses for peeing, that might get her to realize she can use the box for both.
thanks for the advice. I did speak with a vet Saturday who suggested something similar so since I had seen her poop and pee in the mulch outside my apartment I tried mixing in some of that with the cat litter. So far she hasn't pooped outside the box, but I'm not sure if she has even used it as yet other than to pee. but have not found any poop so hopefully that will help.
she did manage to slip out today when I was taking out the trash so I sat outside and kept an eye on her. She didn't stray very far and would cycle back to my apartment after a bit, then wonder around again. She seems very active when outside, chasing bugs, rolling in the grass and exploring. Luckily my apartment is in the quiet area of my complex, lots of open space and very little traffic. After a time she came back, hoped up into my chair then came back inside with me.
Its been a real emotional roller coaster for me this past month, between working with her, trying to keep her (and myself) happy and safe, balancing each of out needs, juggling the feeding of the other feral cats without blowing my limited budget (WB eats 2 cans a day plus dry food) and just dealing my my general depression from the recent breakup and finding myself in an area where I don't know anyone other than those I had met thru the ex who don't seem interested in continuing the friendship we had started to form *sigh*.
Jeff

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WB sounds like she is happy to have you. She seems like she is there for you - maybe she knows that you need her as much as she needs you!

If she is truly less than a year old, the odds are that she will slow down a little bit on how much she eats. Right now, she is getting to savor the food that you give her all by herself and she doesn't have to share. She is probably taking advantage of that for the moment!

You could try something like Next Door Neighbor web site (if you have it) and introduce yourself there as a cat lover with a new cat. That might instigate some dialog that could lead to meeting others who love cats! Just a thought.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is a very good idea about Nextdoor. nextdoor.com

Did this little girl use dirt when she was outside or only cement? I have a rescued feral who lived on cement her entire life and won't touch litter but will use a pee pad in a litter box.

rocketman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is a very good idea about Nextdoor. nextdoor.com

Did this little girl use dirt when she was outside or only cement? I have a rescued feral who lived on cement her entire life and won't touch litter but will use a pee pad in a litter box.
she was using dirt and mulch so I mixed in some mulch with the litter, though that makes it hard to tell if she poops since it is so dark. But as long as I don't find poop on the carpet or under the bed I'm not too worried. I will slowly cut back on the mulch over the next week and see how it goes.
Jeff

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Then about a month ago as I was checking to see if they would waiting for me before putting out the food, I had left the front open a bit and when I turned around with the food bowl in hand, WB had come inside just past the front door!
That's great news!

3f15cc28ca9f653f7e140df189cb3448.gif

Great suggestions from the above posters. Feel free to ask questions and we do hope to see photos :camera: :camera: :camera: