The Strange World Of Dealing With Potential Adopters

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Though I live in a city, I do a lot of TNR in a nearby rural area, and often I come across barn kittens that would be perfect house pets, so I pursue adoption if I can rather than returning them to farms.

My best adoption connections have been through the Nextdoor website, which has the advantage of giving me some clues I can use to check out a potential adopter carefully, but I still run into all sorts of what I guess you'd call approach/avoidance behavior. I don't really get it.

I'd say that 75-80% of the people who contact me are what used to be called "tire kickers." They like shopping, but they're never going to buy. They call me and sound very excited, asking about when they can come see the cats. We'll set a time. Then they just vanish. I never hear back, or if I follow up, I'm told, "I need to check with my husband to see if he's OK with it." (The most common excuse.) Then I never hear back.

Is there just a segment of the population that enjoys calling people about potential pet adoptions even though they're not serious about it? It wastes a lot of time.

One woman told me very specifically what she was looking for, and I came through for her with what seemed like a slam-dunk. She contacted me about one cat I had up for adoption, but she wanted something else. She wanted a pair of kittens, not too young, that got along really well with one another, so I kept my eye out and found them for her. Beautiful 8 month old kittens, brother/sister pair, spayed/neutered, vaccinated, checked (negative) for FIV/FeLV, and dewormed, fantastic temperaments. and after all that, I got, "My husband put his foot down and said he doesn't want us to have a cat right now." I'm thinking, "Um, OK. Maybe you could have worked that out before I tracked them down for you?" (Was that even true? Who knows?)

It's gotten to the point where I'm surprised when someone actually follows through with an adoption and doesn't change their mind or cancel at the last minute. It does happen, but it's surprisingly rare.

Does anyone have any tricks, techniques, or protocols for weeding out the tire-kickers out without seeming like a jerk? I mean, I could ask people, "Are you serious, or are you just toying with the idea?", but that could come across as abrasive.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you set up a web site where potential adopters would have to fill out an application, and make it clear there will be an adoption fee? That might weed out some, at least. I've only adopted out 2 kittens, since we seem to keep every cat that camps out in our yard.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
EDIT in advance: I was just finishing this up when houseofnine houseofnine posted her excellent advice.

I hope the fact that you've not gotten an answer yet doesn't mean that no one has any solutions for this problem. I'm not involved in cat rescue and adoption but if I did, that kind of thing would be so frustrating and disheartening to me.

Is there just a segment of the population that enjoys calling people about potential pet adoptions even though they're not serious about it?
I think there are people like that out there and it's not restricted to potential pet adoptions. I knew someone once who did this with everything. He'd make numerous phone calls and return visits to potential sellers until they either told him to get lost or he lost interest. He never, not once considered the impact of his behavior on others. When I brought it up, he drew a complete blank before unloading a bunch of lame excuses. My point is that there are some people who enjoy "shopping" so much that you may have to get very blunt and direct to stop them in their tracks.

Hopefully, most people just need a little nudge. I know if I were calling about a cat I wanted to adopt, I wouldn't be turned off if the person on the other end of the phone said something along the lines of: "I'm sorry I have to ask you this but we've had so many adoptions fall through recently that we've had to start asking callers if everyone in the household is in agreement about an adoption".

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Though I live in a city, I do a lot of TNR in a nearby rural area, and often I come across barn kittens that would be perfect house pets, so I pursue adoption if I can rather than returning them to farms.

My best adoption connections have been through the Nextdoor website, which has the advantage of giving me some clues I can use to check out a potential adopter carefully, but I still run into all sorts of what I guess you'd call approach/avoidance behavior. I don't really get it.

I'd say that 75-80% of the people who contact me are what used to be called "tire kickers." They like shopping, but they're never going to buy. They call me and sound very excited, asking about when they can come see the cats. We'll set a time. Then they just vanish. I never hear back, or if I follow up, I'm told, "I need to check with my husband to see if he's OK with it." (The most common excuse.) Then I never hear back.

Is there just a segment of the population that enjoys calling people about potential pet adoptions even though they're not serious about it? It wastes a lot of time.

One woman told me very specifically what she was looking for, and I came through for her with what seemed like a slam-dunk. She contacted me about one cat I had up for adoption, but she wanted something else. She wanted a pair of kittens, not too young, that got along really well with one another, so I kept my eye out and found them for her. Beautiful 8 month old kittens, brother/sister pair, spayed/neutered, vaccinated, checked (negative) for FIV/FeLV, and dewormed, fantastic temperaments. and after all that, I got, "My husband put his foot down and said he doesn't want us to have a cat right now." I'm thinking, "Um, OK. Maybe you could have worked that out before I tracked them down for you?" (Was that even true? Who knows?)

It's gotten to the point where I'm surprised when someone actually follows through with an adoption and doesn't change their mind or cancel at the last minute. It does happen, but it's surprisingly rare.

Does anyone have any tricks, techniques, or protocols for weeding out the tire-kickers out without seeming like a jerk? I mean, I could ask people, "Are you serious, or are you just toying with the idea?", but that could come across as abrasive.

David,
It is pure luck and a miracle to find kind, committed people. We had to hear the same excuse over and over "allergic to cats"...When someone was ready and committed, they didn't care about the color of the kitty, etc. You can tell from the beginning who is serious.
We found a few homes but had lots of disappointments over the years...

David, you have lots of experience with TNR and everything.
it is regarding the park girl, she is still there and we still face obstacles from the woman...
We are not fast enough or experienced to scruff the kitty...the couple who would like to adopt her offered to try...
Did you ever use the camouflaged trap (we've looked online at the trap that has been camouflaged with cardboards) for a difficult to catch kitty?
Thank you!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I can sympathize, but don't have any solutions. A friend who runs a dog rescue was very ticked off about the very same thing yesterday. It happens at our shelter, too, but not nearly as often, i.e., about 2/3 - 3/4 of the people are actually serious adopters.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could maybe post something on whatever you have your advertisement on, saying ' these kittens desperately need forever homes, only serious inquiries please' or something to that effect.