The Runt!!

Jaywoke23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat is literally giving birth at this moment she’s like on her third kitten and already the runt was the first to come out and she left him off in a corner I have her in a huge dog kennel at the moment so she’s not having babies where ever around the house. So she’s got the run in the corner and she’s on the other side of the kennel with another kitten who is perfectly fine moving and eating. Does this mean she wants nothing to do with the runt? And if so what can I possible do to help the little thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaywoke23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P.s the dog kennel is brand new we just got it and got home and we were putting it together for our dog when my cat decides she wants to start popping out babies loll and also we didn’t even know she was pregnant until that very moment because she’s an outside cat we brought her in before we left because she was limping really bad.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is a kitten that has been rejected by the mother, you first need to keep it warm. I have flagged your post - not because you've done anything wrong here, but in the hope that one of the site admins with experience of this can stop by and give advice.

Also I don't know where you are in the world, but if you have a vet nearby and it is open you can phone them - or if it is not open, they will have an answerphone message with the number for the nearest veterinary hospital. If you want to try to save the kitten and it is weak or the mother won't let it suckle, you'll need to get some kitten replacement milk from the vet (not a milk-style treat from the grocery store!) and they will give you advice about how to care for the little thing. Best of luck.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How's the kitten doing now Jaywoke23 Jaywoke23 ?

The important thing is to keep him warm. If his mother won't let him get close put him inside your shirt while you heat up a rice sock for him.

Fill a cotton sock (Not a nylon one) with uncooked rice, tie of the end and stick it in the microwave to warm for about a minute. It will hold the heat for a long time and help keep the kitten warm.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can do much to try and save the little one. He may be a goner, we dont know. But if you put a vigorous enough work, he shall have a fighting chance to make it, to survive and grow big and healthy.
It may be quite a lot work, as its much easier to take care of an orphan than a weak runt.
But people had done it, and often succeed...

With a little luck, the mom will take it back when she sees he is still alive. but you must be prepared to handraise.

The first to do as the others said, is to keep him warm, ie actively warmed up. If you have an IR-lamp, its a good help. Perhaps some neigbour whom is rheumatic? Or has lizards or chickens?

You can also massage the little one with your forefinger.

Second, you will of course need to give food. Kmr or goats milk.
Re kmr, there are many brands. This made by PetAg in powder KMR is best. Do avoid Hartz.
Goats milk works fine, and if you can get raw goats milk its best.

If the kitten is weak, you can smear some sweet water sweetened with honey on the lips and gum. The glucose sugar in honey gives quick energy.

Also, if you dont have any kmr or goats milk at hand, begin with enticing into the kittens some water sweetened with honey...

Weak kittens cant always manage to suckle from a bottle, it may be easier to use a little needleless syringe or a dropper.
Tummy down, head up. In the corner of the mouth, slowly. It takes some time and patience before you and the kitten got in the routine.
Train some with controlling the dropper first.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep Mom inside with the babies until the kittens have weaned, also! She will need a litter tray, as well as unlimited access to dry food and meals of wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaywoke23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone. And the mom only had 3 kittens which I’m not exactly sure if that’s normal. But she seems alright. I got scared for the runt so I literally stuck him up to the mother so he can eat I literally had to hold him and show him. But he is doing great now. We did however lose one of the three kittens not the one I expected though. I thought for sure it the runt he was so helpless. It was the third one born that we lost he did great all through the night he died a little bit ago. There was no sign though he seemed to be doing just fine. Breaks my heart ...But thank you for all the advice guys I appreciate it very much.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you everyone. And the mom only had 3 kittens which I’m not exactly sure if that’s normal. But she seems alright. I got scared for the runt so I literally stuck him up to the mother so he can eat I literally had to hold him and show him. But he is doing great now. We did however lose one of the three kittens not the one I expected though. I thought for sure it the runt he was so helpless. It was the third one born that we lost he did great all through the night he died a little bit ago. There was no sign though he seemed to be doing just fine. Breaks my heart ...But thank you for all the advice guys I appreciate it very much.
Im happy for the runt. Of course do continue to monitor closely but the first grand major crisis is over.
:)

Pity on the third one. I guess he got some fluid into lungs during birth and got pneumonia. Such is killing the majority of healthy born kittens. The death looks often as here. Good in the evening dead in the morning....