The price of pet sitters!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That sounds a little high, though that's probably due to area. Was she even insured and bonded? Certified for pet CPR? That will usually increase the cost a little.

The state I live in, in the cities, pet sitters usually charge $12-14 per visit, a little more for extra animals, and will knock some off if you'll be using them more than once a day for several days opposed to just one or two days.

As for them making more than you... do you only work a couple days a week? Not all sitters have work every single day.

I know at least one user on here is a sitter, so if you need anything explain she probably could.
Yes, she used to be a vet tech. Now she just does pet sitting. The vet hospital that I take my girls too recommended this place, as well as the other one for boarding, which I opted in the end to use.

Originally Posted by pushylady

That $50 consultation fee is absolutely laughable. I can't imagine a company getting any business around here! Everyone offers a free first meeting, and there's no obligation to the client. We have quite a few pet sitting companies here for some reason, and they charge around $12-$20 per visit.
You've made good arrangements by the sound of it, and hopefully Chynna will be well looked after and Abby can have a wee break in the apartment by herself.
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I have been lucky since I have family members who have taken care of my kitty whenever I needed to be away. Do you have a neighbor that you can trust to come into your home and take care of your kits? You can offer to pay them.
Abby does need a break. Chynna so much as looks at Abby and Abby is hissing and spitting and screaming. Of course Chynna is mostly deaf and can't hear her. And of course, Chynna does sometimes stock Abby on purpose.

I don't want to leave Abby home alone with Chynna because of that. Ideally I would have wanted someone to come in and stay and look after them. But I don't know anyone who could do that this time.

Originally Posted by KyleW

One thing I have read repeatedly is that if it can be arranged, cats would rather be at home then boarded elsewhere.
Yes, it usually less stress on them if they stay at home which is why I'm not boarding Abby. Chynna on the other hand is everyone's best friend and will probably like the boarding place so much that she won't want to come home. She loves going to the vet! She laps up all of the attention and purrs up a storm....silly girl!! So she will do just fine being boarded.

Abby on the other hand while she doesn't care much for Chynna and the feeling is mutual, she will be lonely. However, she is a skittish kitty with anyone other than me, so she wouldn't let any sitter near her anyway.

My co-workers 15 year old daughter will come in once per day to make sure that Abby has food, water and a clean litter box, and she will dispose of the used cat litter into the bins outside at the back of the building. She will also brush and play with Abby if Abby will let her.

I'm paying her $10.00 for a once per day visit. I figure she will be here 1/2 hour. She's thrilled, and so is her Mom because it will give her daughter some responsibility and some extra spending money. Plus they don't live all that far from me. Maybe about a 15 minute walk, or 2 buses if she takes a bus. Her Mom is likely to drive her though.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a great arrangement! Does she have any pets? Impress upon the young lady that she should never ever leave a door open Not even for a second.

(what about windows?).

Has she been over to meet Abby? It's good you have some time, she can come over a few times and get to know Abby and how to take care of her, and she will be familiar to Abby.

That's wonderful that you have this all worked out already. It's a huge thing to have to worry about, and now you don't have to.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our pet sitter is wonderful. She charges $20 per visit and, since we got Mollipop, when we go to the wedding in Virginia, she will be coming 3 times a day....I don't think Molli should only get fed just twice a day as she's so young yet. We're leaving on a Friday morning and coming back Sunday afternoon. She'll come twice on Friday (we'll feed the cats in the morning before we leave), three times on Saturday, and then again on Sunday morning....we should be home Sunday afternoon.

In addition to taking care of the furkids, our sitter gets our newspapers and mail. She walks through the house to ensure things are OK. In the morning, she'll turn on the pool pump and when she comes back for the night visit, she'll turn the pump off. She spends about 90 minutes per visit; that includes feeding them, spending time with them, scooping litter boxes, etc.

She is bonded and insured. I can call her at night to find out how the kids are doing. She's really good.