pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting thread!

WENDY

Usage: English

Pronounced: WEN-dee [key]
In the case of the character from J. M. Barrie's play 'Peter Pan' (1904), it was created from the nickname fwendy "friend", given to the author by a young friend. However, the name was used prior to the play (rarely), in which case it could be related to the Welsh name GWENDOLEN and other names beginning with the element gwen meaning "white, fair, blessed".

I've always preferred Gwendolen: GWENDOLEN

Usage: Welsh

Pronounced: GWEN-də-lin (English) [key]
Means "white ring", derived from the Welsh elements gwen "white, fair, blessed" and dolen "ring". This was the name of a mythical queen of the Britons who defeated her husband in battle, as told by Geoffrey of Monmouth.

DH is:
DAVID

Usage: English, Hebrew, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Scandinavian, Dutch, Czech, Slovene, Russian, Croatian, Serbian, Biblical, Biblical Latin

Other Scripts: דָּוִד (Hebrew), Давид (Russian, Serbian)

Pronounced: DAY-vid (English), dah-VEED (Hebrew), da-VEED (French), DAH-vit (German, Dutch), dah-VEET (Russian) [key]
From the Hebrew name דָּוִד (Dawid), which was probably derived from Hebrew דוד (dwd) meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him.

This name has been used in Britain since the Middle Ages. It has been especially popular in Wales, where it is used in honour of the 5th-century patron saint of Wales (also called Dewi), as well as in Scotland, where it was borne by two kings. Famous bearers include empiricist philosopher David Hume (1711-1776) and explorer David Livingstone (1813-1873). This is also the name of the hero of Charles Dickens' semiautobiographical novel 'David Copperfield' (1850).

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's rosemary; that's for remembrance.
Pray, love, remember."
~Shakespeare, Hamlet

My name also has something to do with the "dew of the sea."

Anyway, I really cannot stand the fact that persons in the English speaking countries (that would include places like England, South Africa, Australia) who cannot pronounce or spell Rosemary. They prefer to call me Rosemarie. My parents named me. ry, not rie. Yeah, pet peeve.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be cool if my name was listed, but its not - I did look up hubby's name tho. Thanks for the interesting link.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My full name is Lydia Nichole (I have a Southern mom, what can I say! I normally just go by Nikki around my friends and Lydia with my sisters & Jack) I thought I'd check out my first name just for fun.
My mom named me after the Lydia from the New Testament in the Bible, she made purple cloths; funny thing since purple is my favorite color.

LYDIA

Usage: English, German, Finnish, Biblical, Old Church Slavic, Biblical Latin, Biblical Greek

Other Scripts: Λυδια (Ancient Greek), Лѷдіа (Church Slavic)

Pronounced: LID-ee-ə (English), LUY-dee-ah (German) [key]

Means "from Lydia" in Greek. Lydia was a region on the west coast of Asia Minor. In the New Testament this was the name of a woman converted to Christianity by Saint Paul. In the modern era the name has been in use since the Protestant Reformation

Here's the one for my middle name (it doesn't say much)

NICHOLE

Pronounced: ni-KOL [key]

Variant of NICOLE

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
did I mention that My second name is Rene?...

RENÉ

Usage: French, German, Spanish, Slovak, Czech

Pronounced: rə-NAY (French) [key]

French form of RENATUS. A famous bearer was the French mathematician and rationalist philosopher RenÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] Descartes (1596-1650).

so I´m a philosopher too?...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is very boring:

HOPE

Pronounced: HOP [key]
From the English word hope, ultimately from Old English hopian. This name was first used by the Puritans in the 17th century.