The Mu's Tale

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It breaks my heart to have to start a thread here for The Mu. She was my oldest cat, my first rescue, my constant companion for the past 13 years.

The Mu's tale starts when I lived in Hokuriku, the North West part of Japan. I first saw her hanging around outside the apartment building I lived in. She was just a little thing, but when she saw me she looked right at me an meowed. It was obvious she needed help. I started feeding her and a few days later her mother and another female cat appeared too. At that time I called her Little Cat, the female cat she was still nursing from was Mummy Cat and the other female Nechan, older sister. I named a big, one eyed ginger boy who must have been her father Ginger Tom

I didn't know anything about feral cats or TNR then. If it was now I would have started trapping and getting them all fixed right away. But it was December, Little Cat only seemed to be a few months old and my main concern was not getting caught feeding them. The apartment building we lived in had a strict No Pets policy and wouldn't have taken kindly to me encouraging the local cats in any way.

Mu33.jpg

The three older cats never allowed me to get that close to them, but by March Little Cat would let me sit right next to her while she ate. It was around then that I noticed she was getting rounder. I hadn't thought that a kitten could be pregnant, but she was. In my ignorance all I could think to do was keep feeding her and ask around for homes for her kittens. At the beginning of July I saw her feeding a litter of six in an over grown lot behind the apartment building. I don't want to go into too much detail about what happened next. It was a week of calling any society I thought might help, asking everyone I knew if they would take a kitten, trying to coax the family into carriers or somehow pick up a kitten as slowly, one by one, the kittens all died.

I was absolutely heart broken. I found the last kitten dead in the car park under our apartment on the morning of July 7. The Little Cat disappeared that day too.
Mu1.jpg

A few evenings later I noticed her lying under a parked car. I called to her and tried to coax her out, but she didn't get up. I'd never touched her before, but I decided to get a carrier, crawl under the car and drag her out. She was too weak to put up much of a fight. Her whole belly was one big open wound.

We managed to find an ER vet and took her there straight away. The vet thought she must have had mastitis, but the infection was so bad she'd lost a lot of tissue from her abdomen. They warned us then she would probably die, but they did surgery on her to cut away the infected tissue and stabilize her as best they could. The next few weeks were tough. She had to stay at the clinic and under went several more surgeries. Miraculously the IV feedings and antibiotics worked and after about a week she was able to stand and eat on her own.

After two weeks we were able to bring her home and start socializing her. It took a while, but because she was still a kitten I played with her a lot to get her used to people coming closer to her.
Mu32.jpg
Mu37.jpg

I was just so amazed that she had pulled through. I promised her I'd take care of her for ever more. I wish there had been more I could have done for the rest of her family, but they were all too feral for anything other than being trapped and spayed.

After that The Little Cat's name changed to Mu, which was the sound she used to get our attention. The Mu travelled with us when we moved across Japan. First we stayed with a relative in Yamanashi City, then rented a house in Kawaguchiko and finally bought our own place up here in the mountains 8 years ago.
Mu54.jpg

In spite of her rough start she was always healthy and I think The Mu had a good life. After seeing what she had gone through I got a lot more interested in caring for feral cats. I stared doing TNR and rescue. The Mu was always so tolerant of what was going on around her. Over the years she's seen several litters of foster kittens stay here until they found their forever homes and had dozens of feral cats hide out in our bathroom while they recovered from being spayed or neutered. She's had plenty of close friends too. Our family grew to 5 cats, then 12, then over 30 as I worked on getting all the neighbourhood cats fixed and the kittens into homes. For the past few years she's had her regular group of 20 forever friends to share her home and enclosure with.
Mu76.jpg

I noticed that she's been slowing down a bit this summer. She still took her daily walks around the enclosure, but she mainly seemed happy to sleep upstairs with a few of her closest friends. Last Friday I spent the afternoon gardening and she came to sit outside and watch me work. Saturday morning she had a bowl of deli tuna for breakfast. In the evening my husband got home while I was still working. She sat next to him and purred while he played guitar. I can still remember him singing to her, All you need is love, Mu mu mu mu mu. At night she came upstairs and slept on the pillow next to me, the way she always did. When I woke up in the morning she was still curled up in the same place, but she'd stopped breathing. I guess she just slipped away in her sleep.

It was exactly 13 years to the day since that night I 'd first crawled under the car to grab her. The night they told us she probably wouldn't survive. So every day in between has been a gift.
Mu25.jpg

Mu, my beautiful Mu! How can you be gone? You seemed so healthy and happy, I had no idea it was time for you to leave. If it hadn't been for you we wouldn't have given up our jobs in the city or moved across Japan. I wouldn't have realised how hard life was for feral cats. I probably would have never started doing what I do. You were the catalyst for all of that and I'm so grateful for you for looking after me all these years. It was a good life and it was the kind of death I'd wish for everyone I ever loved, but your passing has left a hole inside of me.

We always counted The Mu's birthday as August 23rd, which was the last day the ER vet needed to see her, but actually she probably turned 14 this June or July. So thank you Mu, for spending so much of your life with me. You'll always be in my heart.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh Norachan, I'm just weeping here. What a beautiful story. It must have been so difficult to write and yet it's so full of heart.
How wonderful that this girl came into your life and started you on a journey of caring for, loving and being loved by so many cats.
My heart goes out to you. (((((hugs)))))

:rbheart: RIP Magnificent MU :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for your pain, there will indeed be a hole in your life that only time and love will fill.
Mu lives on through you now, she taught you what a cat's love can be and is proud of her part in bringing you happiness and opening your eyes to other cats in need. You gave her the one thing she wanted most in this world, care, a happy home with family, and love to fill her heart. Please try to go forward into life and live it as you would want for her to go on if you were the first to go, that is love. She will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers because the connection between your hearts is a strong one after so many years, love is spiritual, so eternal.
There is nothing to be said that can lighten your heart at a time like this. But know there are many here who will be thinking of you and keeping you both in their prayers.
The sky will be a little brighter tonight, her newly born star will shine down upon you and those she loves. "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened".
RIP precious Mu. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
This post moved my heart and I wept, and wept. I am so very sorry.
Such very beautiful tribute to an equally beautiful cat. It is so amazing how animals can change our directions and views in life and love.

The Mu, you will be deeply missed. Such great miracle that you have shared your life with us, particularly with your humans.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mu is a gorgeous little girl; I love the pic of the big green eyes looking right at you. Losing the first rescue is so hard, but the legacy of what she helped to create will continue as a tribute to her.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous girl - I am so sorry for your loss, I know your heart is breaking right now, it hurts so so much.

It might be some small consolation, maybe not right now but some time in the future, when your pain is less, to know that is how I wished my dear departed boys had gone and what I would wish for any current or future animal companion of mine - at home on my pillow in their sleep with me right there next to them - no pain, no stressful (for cat and human) vet visits to do tests or being given bad news, no stopping eating or suffering, just in the place they love with someone they love and slipping away in complete peace.

Much love to you, and again my heartfelt condolences for the loss of your lovely girl.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Mu, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

You know what I will say, that her Love is with you still, and always will be. She was the one who guided you onto your Soul Path in this life, how could you think for a moment that she would leave you? That's the lovely thing. The horrid thing is knowing that does not ease the ache for her physical presence. My heart with yours, my Dear Lady. My heart with yours.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful, beautiful, cat Mu was/is! Thank you for sharing her story with us. I am so sorry for your loss of her, but so glad that you got to experience life with her. Play to your heart's content in that Heavenly garden, Mu, until your Mommy gets to see you again. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you everyone for posting here to say good bye to The Mu.

epona epona You're right. It is the kind of passing we'd wish for all of our pets. I'm glad Mu left without having to suffer at all. We went to the garden center to get a tree to plant in her memory, but the staff there warned us trees planted in the summer don't make it through the winter. We're going to wait until next spring and get something beautiful for her then.

In the mean time she's sleeping beneath the hostas.

MG3_R.jpg

Orange flowers for my orange girl.
MG4_R.jpg

Kiji came to say goodbye to her.
MG9_R.jpg

And so did our tiny little Frank
MG10_R.jpg

aurorabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also shed some tears reading your tribute. Your paths were destined for each other.
And what a beautiful girl - her fur positively sparkles - you can tell how loved she was.
She radiates a gentleness of spirit.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a moving story, what a wonderful cat.
She was sent to you for a reason. You had this hidden ability and strength in you, what was necessary to help feral cats, to give them a hand, a roof on their head, a better life.
You didn't know you had it, Mu was here to tell you, to teach you.
She'll be missed, but all the other cats you rescued will be grateful to her, their lives changed because of her.

RIP Mu, you achieved your mission on Earth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you Antonio65 Antonio65 Yes, I really think she was sent here for a purpose and felt it was OK to leave now that her work is done.

:hugs: