The introvert...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's me!!!:thud::)

I'm actually really struggling today, although yesterday was much worse. Big time introvert hangover and it's been building for a while. Three weekends ago we had a Thanksgiving dinner, two weekends ago, we had a second Thanksgiving / Birthday dinner to go to and this past weekend, we had a wedding to go to. Not only that but the wedding was out of town so it was 2 consecutive nights of staying up late with friends we hadn't seen in years plus the travelling which I don't do well with.
I also work full time and of course have to do regular "life stuff" so I haven't really had any significant recharge time in almost a month. I'm completely spent, feel sick, have a massive headache and feel like I got hit by a truck...but have to go back to work tomorrow. I'm past my limit at this point so even my emotions are all screwy...usually I can keep those in check. Today was a day of laundry and pretty much nothing else, which I purposefully planned that way as I knew I would need it, but I still don't think I'll be good to go tomorrow...not that I have a choice. So all I can do is hope that next weekend I get a good recharge and that this week is a good week at work with not too many shenanigans that need extra focus and energy. There have been times where it can takes weeks for me to recover from an event or series of events...even little ones. I have a feeling that this will be one of those times...

To those of you who are on the more extreme side of introversion, how are the best ways you have found to overcome a hangover? Some things I have found to help, but it takes so dang long to get over an introvert hangover that I was just wondering if any of you have a secret weapon that helps with it that I could include in my self care moving forward.

1666663233346.png

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m an extreme introvert. I understand everything you described. One social engagement a month, and that’s if I must, is my maximum preference, anything more feels way too much. Unfortunately it is always more than one time a month, isn’t it?

As far as the introvert hangover, I just need to be left alone with no social demands upon me. Just let me have a cup of tea in peace while reading something. Reading, long walks, doing watercolor, petting my cats, puttering with my plants, really help me. The biggest help though is knowing that I don’t have any social engagements coming up any time soon. Just that knowledge helps me recover.

It’s why I love winter, unlike everyone else I know, and dread summer. It has been nonstop since the end of June and I feel like I have one more week to survive before things are mostly wrapped up. Then the snow will come and I can hunker down in peace and quiet. Long nights, good for sleeping, hot beverages, books, coziness. No graduations, weddings, baby showers, family visits, trips, running here and there, rush rush rush. It’s going to be wonderful.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn’t know either. I DO know what it’s like to be overly invaded by someone asking way too many personal questions, like my hairdresser or the guy that cleans my chimney. I never know how to say to them: “Look, I know you’re just trying to be sociable here, but I don’t feel like telling you every crumb about my personal life.” Usually I just nod & mumble things. I hope you feel better.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally get it, but I don't have any helpful advice. I get burned out visiting in someone's house for a couple hours, or having them in my house. I'm okay for an hour tops. I prefer meeting at a neutral site, then I don't even mind a few hours. I think it's the feeling of being 'trapped" that gets me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand!! We've been extra on the go lately and I am not a fan. My usual recharge is reading. Especially something I've read before and really enjoyed.

Once some of these extras wrap up the busyness will drop off and that will be an adjustment too. And I'll probably cope with more reading. And a nap when possible. I do have plans to wander a craft fair; likely alone. There will be people around; but there shouldn't be much focus on me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today is a bit better than yesterday, but I'm still feeling icky. The nausea is gone though and I'm moving a bit better, so that's good. And of course, last night my husband tells me that the plumber was showing up this morning to fix our shower. Thankfully it was quick, but we'll see if that fixes the problem we've been having. Because we were out of town for the whole weekend, I haven't had a chance to really clean the house yet so I was even a bit more stressed that strangers would see all my mess. I know I shouldn't care but...well...I do. It has also been several days of a low pressure system, which I'm greatly affected by so I still have a headache and feel blech due to that as well. I'm just EXAUSTED!!!
I only work three days this week as I was off yesterday, and this Friday is a regular day off for me. I started working 4 day work weeks every other week and it's been nice to have those 2 extra days off a month. But Thursday is our pool night, and on Friday I have someone from the city coming to change out our water meter...it's mandatory as they are upgrading to "smart meters". It supposedly doesn't take long but yet again, I'll have a stranger in my house that I have to "make nice" with. This weekend can't come soon enough.
I swear, if my husband throws another "we need to..." at me this weekend, I'll have some explaining to do to the neighbors as to why I'm digging a 6 foot deep hole in my back yard. ;) :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a big time introvert and I understand what you mean by too many social events. Usually though what gets me afterwards is more anxiety, rehashing each of my awkward moments and all the reasons I hated being where I was. I had to force my mind to close off those thoughts.

I had a very intensive people interaction job, but was blessed most of the time to be able to shut my door and spend a few hours on Mondays going through my weekend accumulation of emails and have a bit of quiet time before dealing with live people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually though what gets me afterwards is more anxiety, rehashing each of my awkward moments
I get that also...it's not fun. There are a few things I keep playing over in my head from this weekend, hopefully though, those interactions will be overshadowed by the fact that many of those interactions were with very drunk people and they won't remember clearly or maybe at all, my awkwardness. :p

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having people in my personal space is hard. The work being done here in a couple weeks means people will be in every room. I won’t be present but its still preparing for people. That means I need to deep deep clean and man that’s overwhelming. I’m trying to be deliberate about not getting stressed but man I want to just go read a book and nap! Our weather isn’t helping either.

We’ve had contractors stopping by and things so much. DH does the calling but I’m the one here to greet them. I’m definitely using my coping skills to get through this season. I just want it over and done with. It might help if it was for something more fun. :rolleyes2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Having people in my personal space is hard. The work being done here in a couple weeks means people will be in every room. I won’t be present but its still preparing for people. That means I need to deep deep clean and man that’s overwhelming. I’m trying to be deliberate about not getting stressed but man I want to just go read a book and nap! Our weather isn’t helping either.

We’ve had contractors stopping by and things so much. DH does the calling but I’m the one here to greet them. I’m definitely using my coping skills to get through this season. I just want it over and done with. It might help if it was for something more fun. :rolleyes2:
That is what was so hellish about my bathroom redo a few years ago. Not only did they have to walk through the whole house to get there but through my bedroom as well.