The cicadas have risen here

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The back yard is full of them buzzing about. They're all over the garden. They're flying into the house....sounds like hail hitting the house. They are quite noisy!

I hope they eat quickly, lay their eggs and die. And I hope they leave the garden alone....but we know they won't.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Are the newspapers full of recipes yet? I recall there were quite a few suggestions the last time they swarmed, but rather doubt that many people actually tried them. The cats probably would like them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't recall seeing any recipes in the paper, but our local newspeople had some on tv. We didn't have many cicadas that we really noticed them, until yesterday. We were working up in the garden, and suddenly..........there they were!!

Yes, the cats are indoor only; I'm sure they'd love to get at them!
 They were really paying attention when the cicadas were buzzing about right by the house!

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good for you for keeping your kitties safe. :) But yes, I'm sure they'd have a field day hunting cicada! And you'd get some revenge on those bugs for messing with your garden. ^^

At least they're providing kitty entertainment.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are the newspapers full of recipes yet? I recall there were quite a few suggestions the last time they swarmed, but rather doubt that many people actually tried them. The cats probably would like them.
OH Tricia :flail: I am almost sick at the thought :barf: :sick: You can't be serious....... :lol2:

17 years is not long enough between cicada emergence. :lol3: I don't think we are getting them here in the Midwest. I heard just the East coast. I am sure the cats will have a ball watching them from the windows, Pam.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's strange - when my mom and sister were here last month, they visited a few local farms, and the cicadas were up. But we haven't had any here at all! I was kind of looking forward to it. :lol3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, They have been banging on my windows.
I was wondering the other day what were the pre-historic looking bug shells that were stuck everywhere...... Until that I posted the question on FB..... Sure enough it was them! :lol3:
They are all over!

The only thing that's weird is the banging on the windows - you'd think they would have learned by now, having lived for so long :doh3: :lol3:

I will let the cats out tonight I think - they haven't been out yet as I put ants poison in the yard a few days ago and was watering it down.... It was WAY too hot for them also. Now it's nice and cool, with the high at only 96F :lol3: - Let's see if they like a crunchy snack for a change :clap:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
OH Tricia :flail: I am almost sick at the thought :barf: :sick: You can't be serious....... :lol2:

17 years is not long enough between cicada emergence. :lol3: I don't think we are getting them here in the Midwest. I heard just the East coast. I am sure the cats will have a ball watching them from the windows, Pam.
I was reading the Philadelphia newspapers online the last time round, and there really were some recipes! I remember our pets back home, especially the cats, eating them when they swarmed.

Seriously, you can find a lot of recipes online, too.

Cicada Recipes: Bugs Are Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Food

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading the Philadelphia newspapers online the last time round, and there really were some recipes! I remember our pets back home, especially the cats, eating them when they swarmed.

Seriously, you can find a lot of recipes online, too.

Cicada Recipes: Bugs Are Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Food
If you can get beyond the ick factor, apparently insects are very high in protein. Many cultures consider insects to be a delicacy.  I've had chocolate covered ants (not by choice. I didn't know they were ants); and while I liked them at the time (they tasted like raisins), I wouldn't knowingly eat bugs.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband brought a dead one in the house yesterday.  It had gotten into our garage and was between the camping chairs he pulled out for the fireworks.  I was happier when he took that thing back outside!  I haven't seen any flying around so far and I'm just fine with that!!