That Next Step With Feral Cat Advice Needed

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been giving my feral boy to much power in our relationship. He needed it at first but now he a bit to cocky with himself (let's just say we had words and I lost). Anyway he proven he no longer afraid of me and I believe he ready to be pushed. I need him to understand that I need to be able to handle him. the only way I see to do that is to force the issue by grabbing him and while handle him for periods of time. The others came around for food or because someone else was given attention. He not food driven nor does he need to share attention. So it has to be just doing it and let him adjust. I'm not asking for him to be a lover just to accept handling when needed. Ami one of my 5 month olds doesn't care to be handled but she also won't do more then run or push away when she knows your after her but she settles and let's you do what needs done. So I need some gear advice .

1. I would prefer to try to get him motivated by a treat but he really could care less about wet food. He sorta showing interest in human food but not totally nuts over anything yet. I read on here that baby food could be a good idea but I'm unsure of the kind

2. Gloves I think really thick winter ones would freak all the cats out. They'd also take away my felaxabitly. I was thinking some type of leather or tough material but not thick working or winter gloves. Maybe a tight fitting pair but something he can't bite through or at least not fully nor can he sink is claws into me. Any brands you could recommend money is tight something cheap but good. I just want something to allow me to force the issue but yet allow him to strike out but unable to do much damage to me.

I'm hoping that he'll realize quickly that handling not a bad thing and the gloves won't be needed long. I also know it will take time

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he allows petting, have you tried simple lifting? No gloves required.
Rub his belly with both hands and then lift him an inch from the ground for a moment and set him back down.
I also make a point of lifting their lips and stroking their teeth while petting, once they allow petting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's the thing he doesn't allow me to touch him at all. When he first came I was making progress because he had to have antibiotics but after neutering him he become aggressive. I backed off figuring he would come around after a break. Currently he is the only one who I can't handle at all. Talia, Ally & Sami, Sierra are completely lovers and will do pretty much anything I ask of them. Harley loves to be loved on but doesn't like being held but I can if I need to. Ami doesn't care for physical attention but doesn't put up much fuss when caught. I figured Andi would give quite a bit of fuss as she just allowing touch but she let me grab her and do what I gotta but Ace won't allow anything but talking

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is like my Ojima. Ojima is a Korean word that means "don't come". I gave her this name because she will let me get so close and then will run away when I try to touch her. She is a horrible tease too.
This IG video shows what I mean.
She will interact with me when food is involved. We play something like fetch, she even initiates it by sitting a distance away and staring at the food scoop. I understand your pain.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He loves to be talked to just no contact. I can be right over him with little complaint but the second I'm after him he strikes or runs.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From the video she looks food driven have you tried offering wet food? My advice can work with dry just easier with wet. try fixing her a bowl and setting with her as she eats. For a few days just sit it down and you stay at her comfort distance. Slowly inch closer until finally she eating well your right in front of her. As she gets in grossed in eating reach out and touch her when she pulls away you pull back but don't leave let her eat again and try again but only a few tries don't want to scare her off. You do this for a couple of days weeks it'll take time. She'll get to a point of ducking but not moving away that's when you keep at her until she dose pull away let her but don't pull your hand back she will have to make a choice do I want the food bad enough to take the touching. She'll try to out smart you by moving around.

That how I got through to my food driven cats it's the ones who aren't that I have trouble with.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have given her raw chicken and pork. I will get her eventually.

I also have a troublesome 5 month old who I have dubbed Pippa the Pipsqueak. I have been trying with that kitten for nearly 3 months and it is too smart. Won't fall for anything.
Pippa was a scrawny kitten with a big belly and a tendency to walk like the hips were displaced. I couldn't catch it no matter what I tried and I expected it to just die but it didn't. It's brother is a tabby type already over twice it's size, the father of that one had at his peak been over 16 lbs. Pippasqueak is roughly the size of a 3 to 4 month old. Won't come near me at all but occasionally sits on a pallet and watches me.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's Ace for you lol at the colony he from he wouldn't come near you but would watch you. We estimated him to be 6 month old and he weighed in at 5.3 pounds. He had to be traped not once but twice because he escaped the trap lol. He also had a bad uri. Three months later he toping scales at 10 pounds and to smart. I have to force him into the crate if I physically chase him he gets to where I can't catch him which means I got get the broom out. This allows him to attack and I can gently force him out (I never hit him and he never afraid of it he no longer the rimmed fearful cat he was. He now fairly confident male who a brat) and give me longer reach and block him better once he in the crate I can give him his revolution and let me tell you a syringe is a life saver on applying topical meds

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a picture of Pip today. I don't know if it is because of the cold or the kitten's mood. Pippa came when I called and then played the food game with me, even letting me approach. I guess it was that hungry.
IMG_20171027_082815[1].jpg
IMG_20171027_082919[1].jpg

If I can catch it I will most likely take it for alteration immediately and then bring it indoors.
My kids are moving out soon so I will have two rooms free for cats that need to be habituated to indoors. The kitten is small and will likely fall prey to it's father or nearby birds of prey when it matures. If it happens it happens, such is the life of a feral

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg it looks like Ace assuming you don't know the gender. Have you tried live traping them? We pulled the food for a night and going late in the day so they were hungry Ace and Harley went right in Ace we knew he would need trapped but Harley we had hoped to grab by hand let's just say he not dumb lol this is Ace at his colony site
KIMG0067.JPG

And this is him now sorry floor a bit messy I can't ever seem to keep the cat room clean dosen't help they are picky with litter and show dislike by kicking it out
KIMG0238.JPG

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about the floor. Mine is always messy too.
I haven't tried live trapping because it is too random. There are 10 or more cats that like my yard. Plus wildlife.
Additionally when I catch the little thing I want to tnr (which includes rabies vacc). If I could trap, isolate and socialize I would wait on the tnr but right now it has to be first.
I don't know the gender. Pip keeps it's eye on me and rarely exposes it's back unless fleeing.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been there the lady I do most work through tries pulling as many as possible by hand thinning the crowd out before traping and she usually stick around the sight to see which one she gets. I wish I had been able to wait an socialize Ace and Harley before they got fixed but I had a mama with 4wk old babies and Talia who we thought was pregnant she wasn't but we couldn't wait and chance either getting knocked up again. So a couple of days later off they went. We still sperated through her heat. We also tried weaning the Kittens that way it didn't go so good Sami is an escape artist.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand very well. I too had an escape artist. It is how I went from 1 cat to 30.
In January last year our local PAWS opened a free tnr clinic. Now I am just trying to get the fetals done. We had 2 litters born 3 months ago and those kittens are inside right now waiting for the shelter. I still have at least 6 cats I still need to try to get done.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We don't have a free one just low cost clinic but it's like 45 a spay without shots with its like another 25 to 30 more. I know it's not to bad but currently I have three females possible one more female. So the males got done first so that's one less worry.
We had Ally all set for spaying when our brakes went out. Granted I was worried because although we were trying to wean the two kittens Sami refused to be weaned we got 72 hours only to find her nursing. We still haven't figured out how she got out of that room. Ami I think started weening herself at 4 weeks she much more independent then Sami

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got all my boys done first too.
We all do the best we can.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really think it's unfair that males are cheaper than females but that life

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Mamatothecrew how many weeks since he was neutered?

Their hormones take 6-8 weeks to normalize...during that period, i don't think its unusual for them to be aggressive.

My semi-feral Bug would purr one minute...claw me the next....all aggressive tendencies disappeared and he willingly socialized after 6-7 weeks after neuter. You may need to allow more time?

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Harley and ace where fixed in early july. He is starting to come around more since Andi came home he a compelet differnt cat coming closer and closer but only allowing sneek pettings but he playing now with us

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
2. Gloves I think really thick winter ones would freak all the cats out. They'd also take away my felaxabitly. I was thinking some type of leather or tough material but not thick working or winter gloves. Maybe a tight fitting pair but something he can't bite through or at least not fully nor can he sink is claws into me. Any brands you could recommend money is tight something cheap but good. I just want something to allow me to force the issue but yet allow him to strike out but unable to do much damage to me. I'm hoping that he'll realize quickly that handling not a bad thing and the gloves won't be needed long. I also know it will take time[/QUOTE said:
You were asking about gloves--- These are excellent. After trying and going through and destroying many gloves these are actually worth the money. This is at WalMart although many other places have them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ironclad-Ranchworx-Leather-Gloves-Black-Tan-X-Large/36748053

I use these for cutting firewood and other outside chores. They are not insulated but they are tough. They are reinforced at the fingers and between the fingers and thumb there is an extra heavy material that defies destruction. They have these hard plastic ridges on the top of the fingers that help prevent injury from whatever (cat teeth would be one thing). They are very flexible and give you lots of feeling and movement but protect you from injury. I have used them for cleaning up broken glass. Since I wear them so much my cats are not bothered by them at all. In fact it seems like they like getting petted with them since they are more like their own tongue with a rough texture. My giant wild feral tom cat decided he wanted to try getting his tummy rubbed and for the first time laid down and rolled over in front of me and invited me. I discovered he has a big white spot on his underside. Anyway I was wearing my gloves and glad that I was. It was apparently a little to ticklish for him and his first reaction was to kick at my hand and grab with his front paws and bite. I just let him since he didn't even come close to getting through the gloves. He then realized he did an overreaction and sheepishly let go. We tried it again a few days later and it was much better. Now I can roll him into my lap tummy side up for a few pats. Anyway, Ironclad makes a lot of different gloves but the ones I find the best for overall protection are the ranchworks ones.
One more thing, get a size larger than your normal size. I usually wear a large glove but for these I get the extra large. Another bonus is that these can be washed in your washing machine, but let them air dry after.

Last edited:

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im always looking for good gloves and can even test them with talia who going throw a mood lol and likes to slap