That first cell phone, back in the day . . .

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2008. We were going to NYC for the visit of Pope Benedict and didn't have enough tickets for the whole family, so I got one so we could co-ordinate when the Mass was over. Gave it to my son after we got back, didn't get another until after I got the restraining order against my now-ex. Still have a pay-as-you-go now, but I'm always running out of days before minutes. Still thinking about ditching it, it's just not something that I ever wanted (and 99.9% of the time when I leave the house, I leave it home).

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
2008. We were going to NYC for the visit of Pope Benedict and didn't have enough tickets for the whole family, so I got one so we could co-ordinate when the Mass was over. Gave it to my son after we got back, didn't get another until after I got the restraining order against my now-ex. Still have a pay-as-you-go now, but I'm always running out of days before minutes. Still thinking about ditching it, it's just not something that I ever wanted (and 99.9% of the time when I leave the house, I leave it home).
I was on a pay as you go for a few years after retiring. But my cable provider, Xfinity offers very cheap plans if you bring your own phone. Unlimited talk and text plus 1 gig of data for $13.50 plus tax a month.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was on a pay as you go for a few years after retiring. But my cable provider, Xfinity offers very cheap plans if you bring your own phone. Unlimited talk and text plus 1 gig of data for $13.50 plus tax a month.
That's not too bad, but what I'm paying is $19.99+tax every three months, so under $7/month. I just don't use it except for the occasional text.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my sons gave me a pay-as-you-go flip phone about 2010. I was really resistant about getting a cell phone, Then we traveled to my ex's funeral, and the phone became indispensable. I inherited my ex's smart phone, which crashed about a year ago, and I bought a new Samsung Galaxy. I still don't use it often, only for long distance, and I leave it turned off most of the time.

I've gotten like my father, who used to say, "I've gotten along in life to this point without it, so I don't need it now."

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't remember the year but it was a little flip phone from Virgin Mobile. And I've progressed over the years to a Samsung S10 from Verizon. Can't live without it now.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my sons gave me a pay-as-you-go flip phone about 2010. I was really resistant about getting a cell phone, Then we traveled to my ex's funeral, and the phone became indispensable. I inherited my ex's smart phone, which crashed about a year ago, and I bought a new Samsung Galaxy. I still don't use it often, only for long distance, and I leave it turned off most of the time.

I've gotten like my father, who used to say, "I've gotten along in life to this point without it, so I don't need it now."
The top reason I use a smart phone is for navigation. I couldnt get by without that.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Because this is The Cat Site, I know you'll all understand: I use the calendar and the notes apps in my phone to record Lily and Iris's peeing and pooping. Gotta keep track of those little old ladies' habits! :)

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I got my first sometime mid 2000's. I was in primary school, I think 6th year, and my mum said I might need one. I got a flip phone, in the brightest colour I could find. The options were pretty limited for a low price point.
I think it was similar to this one:
Screenshot_20210530-000918_Ecosia.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! That was my second phone. . .

I actually still have it. The battery won't hold a charge but if it's plugged in someone could call 911 in an emergency, theoretically :tongue: .

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the battery situation on these flip phones. They came with a thin and relatively light battery that hardly lasted a couple days. You could buy an upgraded battery, though, that would let your phone remain charged for days. BUT the battery was thick and heavy, turning your light little phone into a BRICK in your purse.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first portable phone was the Motorola brick, weighed a ton and when you clipped it to your belt it pulled your pants down..lol
I was so excited when I got my first flip phone but it lasted about 2 days when i was called out on a job and squatted down in front of a machine I was about to repair and put the phone behind me with my keys and paperwork where it promptly got run over by a forklift.
My boss chewed me out but when he a few weeks later put his on the slow moving conveyor belt into a furnace all was forgiven..lol

Rfd34acb94df91e6d42d17377317c9fac.jpg