Texting??

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit Im guilty of being an avid texter. I despise talking on the phone atleast with texting I dont have to think of an excuse to get off the phone I can just either stop talking to someone or tell them I have to go without feeling guilty. I recently got to see my bill (we have a family plan with BFs brother) I used barely 3 hours worth of talking a month and its all because of conversations I have with my mom who does not shut up. Now that she has a verizon cell phone, I told her good now you dont have to call me anymore just text me then if I dont want to talk I dont have to ignore your phone call.
The only person I text all the time is my BF I update him throughout the day to see how he is doing, let him know what Im doing stuff like that while hes at work. Other than for talking to him I dont need a cell phone but since we dont have a house phone I have to have it. Plus having a Blackberry I tether it to my computer to get high speed internet. Thats pretty much the only reason I have my phone regardless of texting or talking. But atleast while Im a texter Im a responsible one, I dont text while driving, I dont do that shorthand text crap (thats super annoying trying to decipher what someone is actually saying) and I dont walk and text because I like to see where Im going. LOL

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Hehe, I never use texting shorthand. I understand writing "r" instead of are and stuff like that, but the other stuff I just sit there trying to decipher. I'm probably the only person in the world who sends perfectly written texts.
I send perfectly written texts most of the time. My blackberry automatically capitalizes things but I prefer to type out the whole word rather than a short form.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I send perfectly written texts most of the time. My blackberry automatically capitalizes things but I prefer to type out the whole word rather than a short form.
I love that word fixing feature on the BB. Im horrible with apostrophies and I love how the BB fixes that for me. The only word it doesnt do is were to we're so that word just stays were. BF understands what Im saying though. I also like how if I know Im going to misspell a certain word a certain way I can add it to my spell check and it will fix it for me so I dont misspell words all the time. I do have a lot of affection for my BB just not the roller ball scrolly thing. It stops going up 99% of the time now but because its not technical Verizon wont replace it for me Ive got to pay the $100 to get it fixed...Nahh Ill keep it till December and replace my BB with a newer Storm perhaps.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I love that word fixing feature on the BB. Im horrible with apostrophies and I love how the BB fixes that for me. The only word it doesnt do is were to we're so that word just stays were. BF understands what Im saying though. I also like how if I know Im going to misspell a certain word a certain way I can add it to my spell check and it will fix it for me so I dont misspell words all the time. I do have a lot of affection for my BB just not the roller ball scrolly thing. It stops going up 99% of the time now but because its not technical Verizon wont replace it for me Ive got to pay the $100 to get it fixed...Nahh Ill keep it till December and replace my BB with a newer Storm perhaps.
I hated the track ball on my old bb pearl. I definitely recommend the storm. I have the original storm and I really like it. So far my only complaint with it is that once there was something stuck behind the screen and I couldn't do anything on that part of the screen. With the storm the screen actually pushes in a bit to press things and it wouldn't press in. My husband got it fixed easily though.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to have unlimited texts, until I lost my job. I had to downgraded mine to 300. I follow a simple rule, if you text me than it's okay for me to text you back. If I am called I return that call. I don't text anyone who doesn't okay it first. I don't use the short hand either, my texts are full words.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I hated the track ball on my old bb pearl. I definitely recommend the storm. I have the original storm and I really like it. So far my only complaint with it is that once there was something stuck behind the screen and I couldn't do anything on that part of the screen. With the storm the screen actually pushes in a bit to press things and it wouldn't press in. My husband got it fixed easily though.
Hmm Im going to be looking up different phones because BF gets a new one soon and I get a new one in December or the summer of next year. I love my BB and have the software already on my computer. So I was debating between the storm or a Motorola Droid. I dont like the HTC droids though they are too small. I prefer a phone with some weight to it otherwise Ill run around for hours looking for it while its in my hand or back pocket.LOL

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

Hmm Im going to be looking up different phones because BF gets a new one soon and I get a new one in December or the summer of next year. I love my BB and have the software already on my computer. So I was debating between the storm or a Motorola Droid. I dont like the HTC droids though they are too small. I prefer a phone with some weight to it otherwise Ill run around for hours looking for it while its in my hand or back pocket.LOL
I don't know about the Droid but my husband had the Motorola Dext for less than a month after having a blackberry and he hated it. He ended up trading it with a friend for an older bb.

We have had quite a few different phones around here since my husband has worked for Bell World for over 3 years.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not a huge Motorola fan, I had the razor once and within 2 days the screen busted loose in the hinge to flip it open, and Im pretty gentle with my phones I only end up upgrading because I like the newer features that come out. I think my biggest debate is to go touch screen or not. I like the storm because it has a bigger screen on it and thats one thing that bothers me about my Curve the screen gives me a headache if Im on the web. I also want something with a better camara, its pretty bad when my Bfs old env2 takes better pics than my BB.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had a cell phone before I moved ot Japan. Where I lived in Vt it was a big reception black hole. My next door neighbor had to drive to the town line over the hill to get her messages, so why bother?

Here in Japan texting is practically free as part of the plans so everybody texts. I like it mostly cause I don't pay for it. We pay much more for talking minutes. This actually makes more technical sense when it comes to billing as it takes up more room to send voice than simple data.

That said I much prefer texting in Japanese, its so much quicker than English. As you're typing a drop down menu appears with the pictogram characters for the words you are most likely to be typing and most of the time you can just select the word you want without having to manually type it all. It's improved my reading skills by leaps and bounds.

Japanese is such a graphic language, perfect for texting, its no wonder the whole country is text crazy.

I probably would feel differently if I had to pay through the nose for it.