Terrified Rescue

shannybear902

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
in the last 6 months, my boyfriend and I rescued 2 stray cats. one male and one female. The male we got back in July. He adjusted quickly to home life. 3 weeks ago we rescued a younger female. We spent 2 weeks with them in separate rooms so they could do a slow introduction. and then incorporated each other’s toys to get used to the new scent. the female was homed for about 2 weeks before we got her where she was terribly neglected and beat up by the other cats. she’s absolutely terrified of our male if we aren’t in the room with her. They get equal love and attention, not to mention 2 feedings per day, several clean litter boxes, 2 water fountains and an almost spotless home (minus the cat hair of course) I am feeling so defeated. What can I do?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
3 weeks is a really short time for a cat to adjust to a new home, particularly if she had a rough experience in the past.

How old is she?
Is she comfortable around people?
How does the male cat react towards her?

There might be something specific you can do to help her feel more comfortable, but take a look at these articles too.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
in the last 6 months, my boyfriend and I rescued 2 stray cats. one male and one female. The male we got back in July. He adjusted quickly to home life. 3 weeks ago we rescued a younger female. We spent 2 weeks with them in separate rooms so they could do a slow introduction. and then incorporated each other’s toys to get used to the new scent. the female was homed for about 2 weeks before we got her where she was terribly neglected and beat up by the other cats. she’s absolutely terrified of our male if we aren’t in the room with her. They get equal love and attention, not to mention 2 feedings per day, several clean litter boxes, 2 water fountains and an almost spotless home (minus the cat hair of course) I am feeling so defeated. What can I do?
Poor girl.:hangin::catlove: You are doing wonderful work. Sending warm wishes and good vibes. Keep us updated.:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::hearthrob::redheartpump::redheartpump:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
3 weeks is a really short time for a cat to adjust to a new home, particularly if she had a rough experience in the past.

How old is she?

There might be something specific you can do to help her feel more comfortable, but take a look at these articles too.

Excellent advice & links :heartshape::bouquet:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shannybear902

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

How old is she?

Thank you for these articles. I will absolutely take a look at them. Both cats were found as strays so we only have a guess as to how old. The male is about 18 mos. and neutered. The female is about 9 mos. and we have an appointment for her to be spayed. Our male is very curious and wants to play. She loves spending time on my lap or my boyfriends. We have more cat toys than we have space for and offer them to both share to get used to each other’s scent as well as treats for rewards when they do well together. I’m full time at home with them. The female just hisses at his presence constantly.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for these articles. I will absolutely take a look at them. Both cats were found as strays so we only have a guess as to how old. The male is about 18 mos. and neutered. The female is about 9 mos. and we have an appointment for her to be spayed. Our male is very curious and wants to play. She loves spending time on my lap or my boyfriends. We have more cat toys than we have space for and offer them to both share to get used to each other’s scent as well as treats for rewards when they do well together. I’m full time at home with them. The female just hisses at his presence constantly.
Poor girl. You two sound like terrific furbaby parents. I've not had any experience with young cats since Gypsy was 1 or 2 (vets guess) when she found us so I don't have any advice to share but I'm sure here for moral support. :heartshape: :hangin::clap::clap2::redheartpump::hearthrob::bouquet::cheerleader::catrub: What are their names? We'd love to see photos.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
The Maine Coon is Noelle approx 9mos
The tabby is Gizmo approx 18 mos
They are beautiful. Have you guys tried each of you holdind a cat, preferably after eating or playing or brushing and they are relaxed. Just to show her she can peacefully be in the same room with him. Make sure he is totally mellow.
Gypsy is wishing a happy new year to you & yours from " me & mine":clapcat:
20211231_214659.jpg
20211231_214720.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you guys tried each of you holdind a cat, preferably after eating or playing or brushing and they are relaxed.
This is really good advice. If you can get her into a space where she feels safe, either on your lap or up high on a cat tree with one of you close by, she may feel safer observing Gizmo from a distance.

One of you should play with Gizmo so that he is totally focused on a toy while the other comforts Noelle and lets her know Gizmo isn't a threat.

Once Noelle is happy doing that, which may take a few days or even weeks of repeating, you can move onto the next stage. One of you plays with Gizmo at ground level while the other plays with Noelle on the sofa or on a cat tree. If Noelle feels confident enough to ignore Gizmo and focus on her toy it shows that she is starting to realise he isn't a threat.

Another tip is to always feed the dominant cat at a lower level than the submissive cat, so Gizmo on the floor and Noelle on the counter, for example.

Also, make sure Noelle has plenty of escape routes if Gizmo gets too close for comfort. You don't want her to ever get cornered, so make sure your furniture is arranged so there are no dead ends.

Thank you for taking in two stray cats that needed a home. They're both gorgeous.

:heartshape: