Terrified I'll Become Allergic To My Cat

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, for a few months, I was certain I was allergic to my cat but it turned out I was only allergic to dust- once we employed a helper who vaccums everyday, all my allergies were gone.
I know I should be really thankful, but after having read a study that says first-time cat owners in adulthood who have nasal allergies to dust mites (which I do) are at increased risk for developing allergies to cats (the risk goes from 7% to 13.8% if you have a cat in adulthood and are sensitized to anything else), I've been seriously paranoid about getting allergies to my poor cat.
What's worse, I've seen a lot of Google Autocomplete/ search predictions about " cat allergies throat swelling/ throat closing up", which really freaks me out. Is throat swelling for cat allergies really common??! Right now I keep freaking out that either me or my family members will become allergic to my cat and get throat swelling. I've been obsessing over it to the point where I think I need psychological help, and I can't enjoy my dear cat the way I usually do. Any advice??

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, relax. What you read means you have an 86% chance of not developing any cat allergies. As for serious allergic reactions, they're very rare. And they're very treatable. If you're really worried, keep some benadryl capsules around. I'm not a doctor and I'm not giving you medical advice, but that's what I've been told to do every time I've had some sort of allergic reaction. Even you did have an anaphylactic reaction, your throat wouldn't instantly snap shut. You'd certainly have time to summon help.

Relax and enjoy your cat. And quit reading Google!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Having daily vaccuuming will really help that.. most people are allergic to danders of the cat fur, so cleaning that daily will greatly eliminate that worry.

You can also get some cat wipes and wipe kitty down daily to help reduce the dander.

And if you do feel allergy, daily allergy meds (Claritin for example) will help too.

Absolutely nothing to worry about :) Enjoy your baby!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If it helps I also have allergies to dust, outdoor irritants, as well as both cats and dogs. I have lived with both cats and a dog, take a pill and have done just fine. I snuggle with my cat, Carleton, and have not experienced a serious problem. I'm sure your cat would love a hug too. :hugs: In addition, my allergist recommended covering our bed with a separate sheet I put over the comforter so that if Carleton decides to sleep in bed I can take the sheet off and throw it in the washer/dryer as often as I like.

Take a deep breath, you're dong fine, and try not to dwell on an emergency. :alright:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am allergic to nearly every possible environmental allergen; including my lovely fluffs. I am more amazed when I am not allergic to something than when I am.

If it helps any, even if you develop a cat allergy you won't typically develop an allergy to your specific cat. Or if you do have a reaction to your cat, it will be minor. After about a year with my cats my allergic reaction actually decreases to a easily maintainable level. Also, most people with allergies are not going to be at the insta-death level; more like minor annoyance.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be allergic to cats, no throat swelling or whatever but I did have repertory problems. I've had cats since 2005 and the only time I'm bothered at all is if Swanie is on my lap and I'm petting him. Then I might get a teeny bit bothered. I think you adjust to it. I'm also allergic to dust and I'm more likely to have problems with that in my house than I am with the cats.:paperbag:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
look into an air purifier. Whirlpool Whisper (sp?) is one I use. you can get it at sears and buy the filters online. It has been a godsend for both myself and my asthmatic cat. One per room you spend time in. It has 2 filters. It collects TONS of dust. also put a damp paper towel inside the bag of vacuum cleaner it will help the dust stick to it while you vacuum up. Don't use an ionizer type. Just plain Hepa filter air cleaner. I have forced hot air heating and it picks up tons of dust. and don't forget to clean filters on heating and AC units.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a biggie. It's not like a peanut allergy, and even that allergy is inflated (the Kiss of Death was proven to not be the peanut allergy). Cat allergies are stuffy noses and itchy eyes.

Back when I cared about avoiding allergens I bathed my cats weekly and it helped. A once in a while bath won't, because they'll put the dander right back on the fur by licking their coats dry, but weekly helped tons.

And there have been legitimate studies showing people are less allergic to their cats than other cats. It's the same principle as allergy shots, you are constantly exposed so your immune system is desensitized to the allergen.

And when all else fails, Allegra D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone become allergic to their cat *after* keeping them for a while, but still managed to keep them?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had Banshee (aka The Queen B) for 14 years. After a couple of years with the Queen B in the house, I started having problems with my nose; the lining of my nose was starting to shed and I was having some allergy issues with breathing and nose itchiness. Well, there was no way the Queen B was going anywhere. My doctor recommended Claritin D and I started taking that. It took a couple of weeks, but things really improved, just from taking Claritin D.