Tell Me If This Is Weird...

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this is about cats, but I couldn't really find any other forum to put it in. If you have read my other posts, Emma is my first pet ever. I am becoming a crazy cat mom, hence all of my posts on these forums. I just want to make sure that I know as much as I can to make her have a happy and content life.

Sometimes when I look at her, my heart like hurts. I think about how much I already love her, and that if something happened to her I would be so so so so upset. Like probably more than I would for most humans. I think about how one day she won't be with me and I love her so much that I can't even like imagine. This probably sounds super weird. Keep in mind I have some anxiety/depression issues.

95% of the time I am so happy with her, but that other 5% I can't stop thinking that she isn't a guarantee. No one is a guarantee, but for some reason I feel it more with her.

I really hope someone else has had these thoughts!!! Please share!

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's ok to feel that way. Many new parents look at their babies and feel what you are feeling. It's because you are sometimes overwhelmed emotionally by the love you are feeling in that moment.

Be advised,geek alert next....
Aay'han (a bittersweet moment of both joy and sadness)

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not strange at all! :hugs: You are far from alone! I've had these thoughts too.

For sure, I feel more priority in terms of my emotions to my fur creatures than I do to humans. When they give you nothing but guaranteed unconditional love and support 100% of the time, compared to the rest of the world that gives you stress and pain on and off, it is totally understandable that they come first in your mind and soul.

And as other folks mentioned, it is a normal part of overwhelming and pure love in a moment too.

Many many hugs!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel the exact same way. I try not to think about my cats ever dying, but I know when they do, I will throw myself on the ground and cry until my heart breaks. I will never be the same without my babies. We just have to put it out of our minds and enjoy them everyday while we have them, and hope that there is an afterlife where we can be together again.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We open our hearts and our lives to our pets. We do so knowing that we will likely outlive them. Someday they will be gone and we will still be here. Mourning their loss and trying to figure out how to go on without them. I like to think that they will always live with us in our memories. And while it is an eventuality, I cherish every moment, take thousands of pictures and love them with all my heart in the time I have with them. Dwelling on what is to come takes away from living in the moment. And when I find myself dwelling I remember that tomorrow is never promised and all we truly have is today; so embrace today.

I know that every cat who has touched my life has made me stronger and been there for me through the good and the bad. It is worth whatever the cost because my life is so much brighter with my cats in it. As Marjorie Garber says (substituting cat for dog), "to get a (cat) is to open yourself up to profound joy, and prospectively, to equally profound sadness."

This thread is a wonderfully written one that expresses it better then I could: When the moment comes...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka , thank you so much for sharing. That made me cry a little, but also made me feel better. I intend to give her the best possible life that she can have in the time that she is with me :)