Teaching Kitten to Eat and Drink

Eloise613

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a foster kitten who’s between 3-4 weeks old (time flies!!) I’ve noticed him taking little nibbles off his mama’s plate of wet food and trying to drink water out of her bowl. The bowl was heavy so he couldn’t tip it over but I was worried it was too deep so I put a shallow water bowl down, but a friend told me not to leave the bowl out at night or if I’m not home because baby might knock it over or drown. Mama still needs to drink so is it ok if I leave the bowl out? It’s pretty shallow which is annoying to refill but a small price to pay for safety.

also do I need to help baby learn to eat or will mama do it? Should I mix water with canned food and let him have some?

how do I know when to put down a litter box for him? He needs a short one so he can reach so I saved a bunch of crates that the wet food came in. Mama is still stimulating him from what I can see

phew! Thank you guys! ❤

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
When you're not home have a water bowl available for Mama up higher where baby can't reach it :)

also do I need to help baby learn to eat or will mama do it?
It sounds like your smart little baby is beginning to catch on so you likely don't need to worry about that. This article has some more info.

Last edited: