Teaching and socializing orphaned kittens

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I have 4 orphaned foster kittens I've been looking after for a couple weeks now. They came to me around 4-5 weeks old and are now 6-7 weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice about teaching them mostly about limits of play? Without a momma to tell them when to stop and be an example, it's up to me and the other kittens to help them learn. Sometimes, one of them will get overexcited or overstimulated and not seem to get the hint that one of their siblings is meowing during play/unhappy with their wrestling.

Mostly, I try to redirect them with toys but if things start to get more out of hand (hissing, ears back flat), then I will intervene because I don't want anyone to get hurt and I want them to be good playmates when they get adopted. Is this the right thing to do or should I let them duke it out with each other? Is there anything else I should or should not do in this situation?

The other challenge has been the toe and finger nibbling (and leg climbing) - again I try to redirect (though I don't always have a toy at hand to do so) and I have also tried firmly saying No but that doesn't seem to do much and I know discipline or punishment doesn't really work. To a certain degree, I do think they are kittens and kittens will be kittens and without a momma, there's only so much I can do but I also want them to adjust to their new adoptive families well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
A loud no-nonsense hiss from you can accomplish quite a lot, since that's what their momma would do. Hand claps, (loud) or even a metal can half full of coins and given a hard shake to redirect them out of biting mode can help as well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are doing exactly right! Intervene when it gets too rough, do not offer toes and fingers, and when they attack anyway, hiss at them yourself - just like mom would. And you are also right in that kittens with or without mom are high energy and must play to learn. Redirecting is also good. Sometimes it also pays to separate them into different rooms for some quiet time.

Thank you for fostering and best of luck with this bunch!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd read about hissing before but I just felt so bad doing it!!! I tried it out today and it seemed effective but oh their faces looked like "but foster mom we're so cute we can't do anything wrong right?"

Good to know about separation. I have given them "time outs" on very very rare occasions.

I'm generally not very good at disciplining and while I've had experience with kittens in a shelter/vet job, I've never had little ones in my home before. I've only adopted seniors who I let climb on the kitech table and do whatever they want in their retirement. :D I must be a bit more stringent with little ones!

Overall, they are so stinking adorable and they each have a special little spot in my heart! I wish I could see them all grown up someday!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hiss away! They will still love and respect you. Kittens instinctively understand that hissing means “no, no!” It also brands you as their “mom” AND their discipline person. If they had a cat mom she would fill both functions and they get that, just as human children do. Human moms both love and discipline. It’s okay and no one gets hurt. If you are consistent, all the better!

If it makes you feel better, I have 9 adult cats and several of them regularly get on my counters and tables, but they do know my tone of voice when they are crossing boundaries!

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing can be seen as aggression by some or make them fearful of you. When they bite just push towards their mouths and they will release, then redirect. If you pull away it becomes a game. Do you have dental toys for them or silvervine sticks? They may be teething a bit so those types of things are great on hand :)

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The hissing seems to have gone fine so far. I have also tried everytime not to react to being chomped on, I just leave my finger/toe there so they don't get a sudden jerk reaction in hopes that will help!

cataholic07 cataholic07 yes they have a variety of chew toys! though I don't know what silvervine sticks are. What are they? I try to redirect them to the chew toys specifically whenever they bite but sometimes the toy is out of reach.

I still feel a little bad hissing but I think they seem to have lessened their toe/finger nibbling and they will still pile on top of me for cuddles. Yesterday, I had them all over my chest and behind my head and got surround sound purrs! 💕

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'll check out the silver vine sticks!! :) Neat!

They all did so well and seemed to bite less with my discipline (though one was still very keen on it the last day he was with me..) and were adopted within 1-2 days of returning to the shelter. I hope they are so happy and loved in their new homes! :hearthrob: