Tapeworms?

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I found something weird while scooping my cats litter boxes, and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to tell if it's a tapeworm or just something weird in the clay mix.

Of my two cats, Milo has for certain had tapeworms in the past (found it wiggling in his poop, it was traumatizing) but I'm not sure about Phoebe. Though, I would assume they both had them, given they are from the same litter and I would bet money they got them previous to the shelter/at the shelter.

I found the worm from Milo in December of last year, and they both got one dose of dewormer at the end of the year. As of now (and last time he/they had worms) they have no symptoms like diarrhea or irritability. Phoebe's appetite is up, but they are also on steroids for a skin issue, so I can't really rely on that. Phoebe's also gotten super chatty recently, but that could really be to a million things.

Can anyone tell if this is a dead tapeworm? I'll still call the vet on Tuesday (great timing with the 4th) but it'd be great to just know now if anyone can help.

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure does look like a tapeworm but generally cats poop them out in segments-not in one piece,so possibly a roundworm... it's also odd it's all dried out,strange- you do clean the litter out frequently I'm assuming? Just making sure
I'd send a photo over to the Vet as tabbytom tabbytom suggested

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure does look like a tapeworm but generally cats poop them out in segments-not in one piece,so possibly a roundworm... it's also odd it's all dried out,strange- you do clean the litter out frequently I'm assuming? Just making sure
I'd send a photo over to the Vet as tabbytom tabbytom suggested
Yeah, definitely no segments anywhere that I have found, but I think because it's flat I assumed tapeworm too. I don't know much about roundworms unfortunately. I know how they got the tapeworms, but how can they get roundworms? Could it be the same scenario that they got it at the shelter?

Yes, I clean the boxes at least once a day, sometimes twice. Kind of a worrying helicopter mom :dizzy: so I inspect everything in the litter too, I think that's the only reason I even found this in the first place!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, definitely no segments anywhere that I have found, but I think because it's flat I assumed tapeworm too. I don't know much about roundworms unfortunately. I know how they got the tapeworms, but how can they get roundworms? Could it be the same scenario that they got it at the shelter?

Yes, I clean the boxes at least once a day, sometimes twice. Kind of a worrying helicopter mom :dizzy: so I inspect everything in the litter too, I think that's the only reason I even found this in the first place!
Well,I take it you're puzzled because they are indoor cats,right?

Even so,cats will go after just about anything that moves,crawl or flies -even a common house fly can have larvae that gets passed on to kitty if ingested.....

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you emailed your vet and maybe bagging the thing and taking it in would be good as well so they can further examine it..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: My vet took a look at the photos and does not think it's a tapeworm/any worm. They are still going to have me bring it in to their appointment tomorrow just to check and make sure though!