Tapeworm in adopted cat

melissasezginer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a cat from the shelter. I treated her for fleas with revolution plus immediately. A month later I started finding rice size yellowish seeds wherever she slept. After googling I realized it's likely tapeworm. I contacted my vet and she has an appt scheduled for Tuesday.

I was able to get my other car treated just in case.

My question is, do these seeds hatch and can they infest my house? I've never dealt with something like this.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, unless you've got a flea infestation already. My understanding is that the little segments contain eggs but they need to be ingested by a flea to be able grow and transmit.

My kitten came with tapeworms and, while gross, it was the least annoying of her ailments to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissasezginer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for easing my mind. I couldn't find anything on Google about it.

I'm so sorry about your kitty. My son adopted a cat last summer and had to have her put down just this past week because of her health issues. It was heartbreaking. I hope you're baby is able to be treated and recover quickly!

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for easing my mind. I couldn't find anything on Google about it.

I'm so sorry about your kitty. My son adopted a cat last summer and had to have her put down just this past week because of her health issues. It was heartbreaking. I hope you're baby is able to be treated and recover quickly!
Thanks for the kind words. Luckily, my kitty's ailments were mostly just annoying, not dangerous. I was thinking of the giardia when I wrote that. That one did result in a reinfection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissasezginer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad she's going to be ok. It's so strange about my cat. I treated her with revolution the day we bright her home. Now 4 weeks later she has worms. Ugh

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, I had a cat with a tapeworm. She dumped in the tub, and the rice grains sprayed all over the tub. None of the four of us in the family got any worms. Needless to say, she was treated and got rid of the worm.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad she's going to be ok. It's so strange about my cat. I treated her with revolution the day we bright her home. Now 4 weeks later she has worms. Ugh
I didn't notice my kitten had tapeworms until more than a month after I adopted her and she was flea-free by then. 🤷‍♀️

I was super grossed out by it but it really was the easiest thing to take care of.