Tapeworm help and advice?!

Joseydiann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Excuse me, coming through.. Hi, hello there, nice to meet everyone.. I'm new and all and I need help, tips, advice, ect...
Roommate has a solid black male cat, he was rescued when he was about 5 weeks old, he is now about 3 1/2 yrs old..
This cat does NOT ever go outside, he has never been out so he does not eat any wild prey, he does not eat any kind of human food ever.. Eats nothing but cat food.. During the summer months he does get a few fleas from the dogs but he's not loaded with them..
However this cat is getting tapeworms about every 3-4 weeks.. Soon as we worm him, the worms are gone, he fattens up even more so I mean you can tell when they are gone.. Well sure enough about 3 weeks later we find worms crawling out his butt so we worm him yet again and then give him around a month and he has them again, it's never ending.. It's getting so costly and annoying.. He is the only cat and litter box gets cleaned and washed about every 3-4 days..
So is this normal, is it common for them to get worms THAT often? I'm about to move out over it....

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Excuse me, coming through.. Hi, hello there, nice to meet everyone.. I'm new and all and I need help, tips, advice, ect...
Roommate has a solid black male cat, he was rescued when he was about 5 weeks old, he is now about 3 1/2 yrs old..
This cat does NOT ever go outside, he has never been out so he does not eat any wild prey, he does not eat any kind of human food ever.. Eats nothing but cat food.. During the summer months he does get a few fleas from the dogs but he's not loaded with them..
However this cat is getting tapeworms about every 3-4 weeks.. Soon as we worm him, the worms are gone, he fattens up even more so I mean you can tell when they are gone.. Well sure enough about 3 weeks later we find worms crawling out his butt so we worm him yet again and then give him around a month and he has them again, it's never ending.. It's getting so costly and annoying.. He is the only cat and litter box gets cleaned and washed about every 3-4 days..
So is this normal, is it common for them to get worms THAT often? I'm about to move out over it....
Tapes come from fleas what are you worming him with?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Joseydiann Joseydiann Welcome to TCS.

If your cats still has fleas, even a few of them, he will be getting re-infested with tapeworm every time he grooms himself and swallows a flea egg.

You need to treat the dogs and cat for tapeworm and for fleas, as they will pass them back and forth to each other. You need to give them repeat doses in order to make sure that the cycle of fleas-worms doesn't start up again.

Yep, it can be expensive. Some vets include a monthly dose of flea and worm medicine in their annual care package, so if you have a couple of pets that are treated by the same vet it's often cheaper to get the medication that way.

The 4 Most Common Worms That Can Make Your Cat Sick – TheCatSite Articles

Cat Fleas – TheCatSite Articles