Taming kittens of a feral cat

lalaicecream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poochu,the feral cat, used to visit my house for food almost everyday.After giving birth to 2 kittens on March 11,she seems to be more attached to me.Earlier she would rub against my legs and beg for food, but more recently,she licked me! And she doesn't mind if I touch her kittens. Poochu now moved her kittens into my home and she moves them around every few days. As I said,she is a feral cat so she can get her own food,but I give her puppy food mixed with rice daily.

I was wondering, how can I make her kittens bond with me and see me as their friend? Normally nursing cats do not let anyone near their kittens, but Poochu seems to be the exception. I don't want her to get scared and then shift the kittens away. I also get nervous if the tiny fluff-balls scream when I pick them up.How can I earn the trust of the cuties???                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful momma is trushing you and even herself took them kittens into your home!  She clearly gives you the mandate to raise them up.  Cat moms are wise, the best of their children is more important than "freedom".

At this tender age they arent no feral, they are as any normal kitten.  Simply do handle them much, carefully and softly so they are comofortable.  Be sure your hands are warm...  speak a lot in a friendly voice to both kittens and momma.

As momma seems to manage you cuddle her some, proceed with it, esp when the kittens see it.  So they will know for sure you are the friend of momma.

Puppy food with rice isnt the best around.  Among others, there is too little of taurine.   Unless you KNOW she is an excellent hunter of course....

Please give her cat food, kitten type. Goats milk is a good supplement for both momma and kittens (and yourself).

Ideal is though, you dont let her out at all not even for hunting.  Give her food all out, if its possible for you.  Lactacing doesnt protects cats from new pregnancy.  If she goes out, she will soon be pregnant again.  So a spaying to plan for is wise.  it would be a good deed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lalaicecream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually Poochu is an excellent huntress because my family and I have seen her successfully hunt mice and baby squirrels.A fisherwoman comes to my neighborhood almost everyday and cuts and cleans fish for her customers(kinda like a home delivery service and it is very common in my city).She gives the guts of the fish to the hungry cats.So I think Poochu has a sufficient intake of taurine.I give her puppy food because it has chicken and it is the only petfood available at the store.
Soon my school will close for summer break so I can have more time to search for kitten food and goat milk.
Also this is her first litter and she always runs to me and calls out for me.She just wants to be cuddled all the time but I don't mind :D

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please get a bag of cat food to feed to the cat and kittens. The kittens need it!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep mom inside with the kittens? Otherwise she will soon be pregnant again. Mom also does not need to worry about sourcing food for her babies right now.