Talking Hot Weather Again

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Barometric pressure and humidity is stressful for me too! I am a walking barometer as far as my arthritis is concerned and can tell the weather before it even arrives!
Ditto! :yeah:

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but the poor air quality in a lot of areas, including ours, doesn't help. If it's not good for us it can't be good for our pets either. Almost all our cats have been longhaired and the Persians especially have trouble with heat due to being a brachycephalic breed.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't have been so dismissive in my original post above, in which I said "cats aren't going to sit in the heat to the detriment of their own health."

I realized since posting that that I am certainly no expert, and also that I have only ever had one cat. For 9 years, but still, only one cat.

I also realized that HUMANS also sometimes sit in extreme heat to the detriment of their own health. And may not hydrate properly, etc.

We have a bigger prefrontal cortex, have higher learning skills, and we have an innate understanding of what external factors can harm us... yet we still sometimes allow those things to harm us, nonetheless.

Of course, there are humans who suffer from heat because they have no choice. I.e., people suffering from poverty, or others with medical complications. But every time there is a heat wave, there are also humans who suffer from heat stroke who just thought they could handle it.

I know I'm not answering any questions or really contributing anything to this thread with this post, but I felt the need to follow up based on what I posted previously.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Barometric pressure and humidity is stressful for me too! I am a walking barometer as far as my arthritis is concerned and can tell the weather before it even arrives!
Yeh, they can puke on a dime it seems and I thank you for the Rescue Remedy tip which I will research now.
Have you compared it to Feliway(that spray is what I am using now for anxiety like thunder)
We tried Feliway (Optimum, I think it is?) last summer and it totally blissed Edwina out but it seemed to make her asthmatic sister cough so I put it in Buy Nothing. (I disliked the smell of it myself...) The cats aren't enamored with Feliway spray: They tend to avoid whatever bedding I spray! I do think it helps, though, and spray their carrier bedding for vet visits.

Definitely look into the drops. Like so many things, apparently they either work very quickly and well (as for Edwina) or barely at all. We've also tried Composure, which is great for calming but may have made Edwina barf (maltodextrin). Our vet also suggested Anxitane, a chewable tablet, though it also has an ingredient I'm not keen to feed even in minute quantities given that, yes, she can puke on a dime! If Rescue Remedy stops working, though, I may try the stuff.

Maybe beat of all, catnip in food is also supposed to calm cats... We have plenty of that around and I need to try it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried Feliway (Optimum, I think it is?) last summer and it totally blissed Edwina out but it seemed to make her asthmatic sister cough so I put it in Buy Nothing. (I disliked the smell of it myself...) The cats aren't enamored with Feliway spray: They tend to avoid whatever bedding I spray! I do think it helps, though, and spray their carrier bedding for vet visits.

Definitely look into the drops. Like so many things, apparently they either work very quickly and well (as for Edwina) or barely at all. We've also tried Composure, which is great for calming but may have made Edwina barf (maltodextrin). Our vet also suggested Anxitane, a chewable tablet, though it also has an ingredient I'm not keen to feed even in minute quantities given that, yes, she can puke on a dime! If Rescue Remedy stops working, though, I may try the stuff.

Maybe beat of all, catnip in food is also supposed to calm cats... We have plenty of that around and I need to try it!
On occaision I give her Catnip on her stuffed mice and she acts so drunk it is scarey! I try not to give it to her more than once a week if I see she is bored or pacing around and around the house looking for something to get into and cause trouble(she's good at that).

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People mention cat nip for calming a cat. My cat loves catnip, but it makes her feisty. She will throw her mouse in the air, meow at me and if I don't play with her, sit on my chair or computer and bat me with her paws. Not sure if that is calm or not but it sure is funny. I like the idea of rescue me. Here I thought it was only for humans! My buddy uses it when ever we go to lunch, now I am wondering if he is trying to calm me down.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On occaision I give her Catnip on her stuffed mice and she acts so drunk it is scarey! I try not to give it to her more than once a week if I see she is bored or pacing around and around the house looking for something to get into and cause trouble(she's good at that).
We've never fed catnip to our cats in their food but they love snuffling it up or rolling around with catnip toys! They don't go wild, especially with the toys, which just put them in a sort of light state of, hm, happiness or something. Maybe a little like feeding it to them since they love to lick the toys.

This is what reminded me that I was thinking of putting a little catnip in Edwina's food:
The Benefits of Catnip PLUS a Healthy Cat Treat Recipe (adoredbeast.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People mention cat nip for calming a cat. My cat loves catnip, but it makes her feisty. She will throw her mouse in the air, meow at me and if I don't play with her, sit on my chair or computer and bat me with her paws. Not sure if that is calm or not but it sure is funny. I like the idea of rescue me. Here I thought it was only for humans! My buddy uses it when ever we go to lunch, now I am wondering if he is trying to calm me down.
My cat not only acts drunk but she torments the toy mice,batting them down the stairs and playing 'golf' with them. Then she leaves one for me as a gift to find in the morning.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats are golfers, too.
As is my cat, except he ALWAYS misjudges his putts, and inevitably knocks them under the couch or other furniture, and usually so far underneath I can't reach them.

So I have a flashlight and grabber always on-hand for fishing out his toys. He enjoys watching that process, too... it's like he has no idea what's going to pop out, and enjoys the suspense.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have made special guards so the balls don't go under the furniture. But my cat will with what seems like purpose, move them slightly, then take the time to play with her balls until they are under the furniture from the opening she has created. She loves opening things, from doors to cabinets to new boxes that arrive.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm feeling thankful for the cool day we are having today 77° way better than the upper 90°s with the real feel being 105° and above.. Needless to say Gabby gets her favorite lounge spot at the door all day today she is one happy kitty!!!
She was chittering at the birds at 530 this morning today she was louder than usual lol then she would run back to her room I guess the birds flew that way so she runs to her window lol silly kitty, you can't catch them... haha