Taking care of a pregnant feral cat

alexibd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I am fostering a pregnant feral cat. This is my first experience with a feral. She arrived to my home yesterday. It was an emergency-solution, I live in a one-room apartment so it is not optimal. But otherwise she would give birth outside (again) and we live in Denmark so it's starting to get really cold outside, so they wouldn't survive under the weather conditions. She has been a part of a cat colony for a couple of years. Pregnant several times. A woman has been feeding them, so she's had positive interactions with humans before. But she has never let anyone come close to her or touch her. She stays in a big dog crate in my room, with a cardboard box inside.

From the time she arrived yesterday, she has been stuck to the corner of the cardboard box, staring at me with eyes wide open and pointed ears. She hasn't made a sound or movement under my presence yet. She is always staring in my direction, very attentive to my movements. I try to move as slow as I can around her, and I talk to her quiet and slowly. I've covered the crate with blankets, 2/3 of the front is uncovered so she can see what's going on outside. I was out for about 3 hours earlier today, and when I came home again I saw that she had been eating and walking in her litter box (not sure if she has used it yet - dont wanna disturb her too much).
But when I'm home, she doesnt move any inch, not even to eat (her food is right next to the cardboard box). This worries me a bit, as she's very pregnant now and does need a lot of food. I took my hand into the cage to refill her food - and my hand was like 10-20 cm from her. She just stayed very attentive in the corner. I haven't tried touching her yet as I don't feel like we're quite there yet. She hasn't made any sound - not a hiss or anything. When she first walked out from the trap into the cage she was very calm - but really careful and attentive. I have no idea if she can be tamed or not. I feel like she's in shock.
I am worried about her being too stressed to handle the labour and taking care of her kittens.. And if she will allow me to handle them if things get bad. I am in touch with the shelter but it would be great to hear if anyone in the forum has similar experiences, or any good advice :-) Thanks in advance! Here are some pictures of her. She has been staying in that position for like 10 hours..

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for trying to help her. You really are giving her and her kittens a wonderful chance at life.

What are the long term plans for this mother cat? Are you going to attempt to turn her into an indoor cat, or is it safe to spay her and release her back to her colony after her kittens are weaned?

With adult ferals it's often a lot easy to spay and return than it is to turn them into house cats. So if that's the plan I wouldn't bother trying to touch her or interact with her. If you are in the room with her cover the crate almost all the way over so she feels safe. Your main concern should be getting her to feel comfortable where she is and eat plenty for now.

Here are a couple of videos by Kitten Lady. She fostered a very feral mother cat and her kittens. The mother was finally spayed and released once her kittens were old enough.