Take them or not?

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi - I am super conflicted. My husband got a job where he is required to be in a city about 45 minutes away. We are having a problem finding a house, but should hopefully have something within the next three months. He needs to be there during the week and I WFH. We have a short term rental. I am traveling one week a month for the next three months. We would like them to be with him during that time, but not sure it is worth the disruption. I would most likely take them up for a week so they would be used to it with me as he will be gone during the day.

Oh one more thing one of our boys has flareups of FHV, no eye problems just stuffy and the doctor doesn’t think he needs antibiotics. I do know that stress can cause flareup though.

The doctor gave me gabapentin for them for the car ride if I want to use it.
They’re not probably awful in the car. They just don’t go in it very much. They are from Kuwait so they did make a long trip in initially. they are spoiled, but they are also pretty chill.

What would the more experienced people here do?

(and here’s a pictures of them)

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So, let me understand - you want to take them where? To a temp home that your husband is occupying while you look for a more permanent place in that same area? Where will you be when you are not traveling - in another location, as in their current home? You want to do this now vs. when you find a new home because you are traveling one week out of the month that - unless you find a cat sitter - would mean no one would be home with them? And, you have one week to do this in before you will be traveling? Am I getting the gist here?

If I have gotten the details correct, I would look for someone to take care of them in their current home for when you are traveling, and not move them until you have gotten a new permanent home. It sounds like too many things going on at once and the least impacting would be to leave them in the home they know with a cat sitter until you can make the transition their new permanent home.

If I have messed up what is going on, please correct me!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’re pretty close I was just going to bring them there so he couldn’t be with them while I travel abroad a week at the end of January, February, and March. I was also going to stay there for a week so that they could be with both of us and get used to the environment. I have a pet sitter. I just thought it might be better for them to be with him. They are his best buddies.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
whoops that was wrong. It should be that he can be with them and me and we can get them used to the environment. You are also correct we are going to have to move again when we find a house. It’s just an awful time to buy a house, there is nothing on the market.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know your cats better than anyone. I was just concerned that you would have a week to acclimate them to a temp new place, and then you're gone for a week. Depending on how much you would need to be gone from the temp place, on your non-travel weeks, to take care of what will eventually be your 'old' home has an impact on the choices too.

There is no perfect solution, obviously. You just have to come up with the one you think is the least disruptive to your cats. I think you and your husband are going to be disrupted any way you go. A tough decision, to be sure!

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah and he will be behind and he is really their best buddy so I was thinking it might be better for them to be with him and another place but it might be better for them to be in the house they know and only have to make one big move. I am going to talk to him tomorrow about it. He loves him enough to do what’s best for them. Thank you for the feedback.