Swollen Toe, Help?

Katthecatlady2017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all you lovely cat lovers.

I'm in a bit of a bind as I started my new job and qont get paid for 2 weeks. I have an appointment for my cat the day I get paid to take him to the vet.

As for now, I've came here to seek any advice you guys have.

So I have a 2 year old long hair cat named Trouble (male, neutered). He is an indoor cat, however 2 nights ago he got out for about an hour because my roommate left the door open. We found him and cleaned him up. I didnt notice any scratches or anything wrong at that moment.

Now, 2 days later I was going to clip his claws (which i do about every 2 weeks or so). I noticed his back right foot was tender and on further inspection I saw it was so very swollen and some yellow pus was coming out.

The flesh around the toe is almost swallowing his toenail. I know its infected I'm not sure why. Is this a disease or something else? Am I doing the right thing in trying to treat it until I can get into the vet? (Also, the vet wont see him unless I can pay)

What I did:
Cleaned would with diluted hydrogen peroxide
Put neosporin on it
Put an e-collar on to minimize him messing with it
Going to start doing a sea salt/water rinse

Note- He is eating and drinking fine
20180905_230252.jpg

Attachments

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, your poor cat. He must be in so much pain. Does your vet not have any payment plan options? If not, is there another vet close to where you live who might have one? Or anyone who might lend you the money and pay back after your pay day? The worry with the wound being infected is that the infection can get in to the blood stream and that can cause all sorts of problems: not only can it make your cat very sick it can rapidly become fatal just as it can with people.
Cleaning with peroxide will keep a wound open for pus to drain but it won't kill bacteria inside the wound and your cat really needs the wound cleaned by a vet and possibly antibiotics to back this up.
I hope you are able to find some way for a vet to treat him, it is horrible when you don't have the money for things like this.