Swollen Nipples On Unknown Outdoor Cat - 1 Month After Birth

rebeccacoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Short story -

This outdoor cat (unknown owner) in my neighborhood gave birth about a month ago. Her nipples look like this. Is this a problem? I've never been around a nursing cat before so have no clue.

Long story -

I moved into a new rental house two months ago. This female outdoor cat comes to my door occasionally; based on her behavior, I'm assuming the previous tenants fed her. She's very friendly so I'm also assuming she belongs to a human or did belong to a human. She was noticeably pregnant and getting larger, then the first week of July I didn't see her at all. She came back the second week of July and she clearly had the kittens and was no longer pregnant.

Over the last month, her nipples themselves seem to be swelling, And the area around the nipples also seem to be swelling. Her front nipples seem to be only a little larger, but her back two nipples are very swollen around the area. There is also some discoloration, which I've mostly determined is a combination of dark birth marks on the skin and dirt.

I've asked around and no one knows if she belongs to a house close by. She comes to my door often and is super sweet, so I've become a bit attached over the last couple months. I want her to receive medical care if she needs it and would bring her to a vet, but I don't want to interfere with someone else's pet.

Is this swelling normal? Should I monitor it? Should I bring her to the vet immediately?

IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you go over to the house knock on and ask? If the cat is their? What a sweetie! Etc

Does she still nurse the kittens?

Are you willing to adopt her if its confirmed she is homeless / "owners" agree?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebeccacoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my first post. No one knows who she belongs to (if she belongs to someone). So I can't knock on a door and ask because I don't know what door to knock on.

I haven't seen any kittens and have no idea if she's still nursing. If the kittens are still alive, I think they would be about four weeks old.

I would personally love to adopt her, but I already have one cat who hisses at her through the window. I don't want to upset my current cat.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you at least help to have her spayed?

Your current cat would adjust if you did a slow introduction, if you wanted to consider taking her in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebeccacoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can get her spayed, but want to wait a few weeks. If she still has kittens around they would only be 4 weeks old, and I don't want to take away their mom for a night.

Today I'm mostly concerned whether the nipple swelling is normal.