swollen mammary gland in momma?

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
the momma cat of my older litter of kittens is having some boob trouble.
a couple of days ago I noticed her mammary glands went from being all loose and jiggly to very firm- i brushed it off at first because she seemed to be fine, but as of today I've noticed now only one mammary gland is firm and her lowest boob on that side looks a little lumpy and swollen..
I dont think its mastitis though because her skin doesn't appear to be blue or purple- just pink.
anyone else have this issue? what is it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
I should probably add,
her mammary gland is not enlarged or swollen- its just firm.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try a warm compress on that particular mammary gland. It may help to soothe and soften it. If not, get it looked at by a vet. It’s always best to get ahead of a potential mammary issue such as mastitis, if indeed it may be starting.

Do the kittens nurse from this nipple or avoid it?

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try the warm compress & keep this thread updated on her (Callie) issue.
also, the kittens haven't been nursing from her much lately & when they do I have to leave my room cause if I'm nearby she just expects me to let her out of her & her kittens area, so I'm not super sure.

I looked again and it's seeming like its just one singular boob- the mammary gland is only swollen around that specific boob.. still no bruising colors, I'm thinking maybe she has a clogged duct.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will try the warm compress & keep this thread updated on her (Callie) issue.
also, the kittens haven't been nursing from her much lately & when they do I have to leave my room cause if I'm nearby she just expects me to let her out of her & her kittens area, so I'm not super sure.

I looked again and it's seeming like its just one singular boob- the mammary gland is only swollen around that specific boob.. still no bruising colors, I'm thinking maybe she has a clogged duct.
If you are unsure if they latch on proper, the only way to know for sure is to weigh them regularly. If they add minimum 6+ grammes a day, good. (healthy kittens add typically 10+ grammes a day, but it may wary somewhat. We see 6+ as a minimum).

As you write, I alike SArthur notice its not just an esthetic question, its more serious matter... . And you ARE worrying.

So the recommendation is you do consult a vet, and do it better sooner than later. Something is amiss.

ollie4444

mother to many
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are unsure if they latch on proper, the only way to know for sure is to weigh them regularly. If they add minimum 6+ grammes a day, good. (healthy kittens add typically 10+ grammes a day, but it may wary somewhat. We see 6+ as a minimum).
I applied a warm compress as sarthur originally recommended and her mammary glands & boob are both back to normal!!
and as for the kittens, they are gaining what they're supposed to be on a daily basis. It's not that they're not wanting to nurse, it's that our vet reccomended they be weaned onto soft food because one of the kittens, cosmo, was starting to eat too much & causing himself to throw up- but since ive lessened their nursing time, everyone is fine.