Swollen Lip

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! I’m actually posting on behalf of my friend. She’s a little paranoid as one of her cats is currently having dental work today (not this one!), so with this issue with one of her other cats she’d rather be safe then sorry!

This is Stache - 2 years old. His lip has gradually over the last day swollen up like this. Just wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be?

Thanks guys!

IMG_2769.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It looks like what they call an indolent ulcer; also known as rodent ulcer (nothing to do with rodents). These ulcers are part of the eosinophilic granuloma complex (EGC) family. It can be caused by bacterial build up on food and water dishes, especially if they are plastic since plastic is so porous and collects dirt even when washed frequently. Somonte's, resolution is as simple as changing the dishes to ceramic or stainless steel. They are considered painless and can disappear on their own. But, there can be other causes as well. Here is an article that discusses them further.
Rodent Ulcers in Cats (thesprucepets.com)

Ruggles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be a lip granuloma. My cat has had one 3 times. It's caused by food allergies usually. I changed her food a few times and it went away, but came back again, so I guess she developed an allergy to the food over time. So I discussed it with the doctor and we have put her on prescription hypo-allergenic food and she's doing very well on it. Lip granulomas come up very quickly and they look pretty angry and painful. They usually do a steroid injection, but the only one that worked on my cat was the very first one. After that, it didn't do anything to get rid of the granuloma. My cat had also been struggling with feline acne on her chin, and that went away with the change to a hypo-allergenic food. I hope this helps!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus's lip did this when I was using eco-friendly soap.
I switched back to dawn and haven't had an issue. I was told it was oil build up and part of his cat acne.