Switching Litter

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, after reading a lot and hearing my vet's opinion, I am thinking to try and switch cat litter. Currently using crystals. They work well but I think it's super bad for the environment. Also, they do have a lot of dust and, even if this not the main important factor, they're quite expensive.

I found a "natural" cat litter made of recycled paper. For now I am mixing it with the crystal one and the cat doesn't seem bothered by it. So I am planning to switch from crystals to paper pellets and newspaper on the bottom of the tray.

Has anyone had experience with paper pellet? So far it does seem good (contains odour, very absorbent etc) but I'd like to hear your opinions.

This is the one I am buying (not sure but it might be only available here in Australia). Apparently you can even use it for garden bedding after your cat is done with it.

Breeders Choice Litter 30 Litres | Petbarn

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a pellet newspaper product called Yesterday’s news for a couple of years. I only used it because I had a cat with paw cancer who couldn’t have regular litter. I wouldn’t use it again unless I had to. Urine turns the pellets sawdust like and while you can kind of scrape them up from the rest of the litter you don’t really get it all so some odor remains. It does an okay job though drying out poop but you pretty much need to change the whole box weekly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you're interested in a nonclumping nonpellet type, there's littermaid corncob (be sure whatever litter you use is from the cob due to much less chances of bacteria, mold etc) I like it, it's pretty much no dust.