Switching from lactulose to miralax. Can I prep the miralax?

Yerocnella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has megacolon and is prescribed lactulose. My lactulose comes in a big container and makes it easy to syringe out the correct amount and give to my cat. However, I'd like to switch to miralax. I've searched online and it seems that it's okay to pre mix the lax with water and keep it refrigerated making it just as easy to syringe out the correct amount multiple times a day. Has anyone done this? He refuses to eat anything but hard food so adding it to wet food isn't an option. So syringing it into him is the only way currently. Also, I've read multiple people stating that miralax is the best choice because it has less side effects. However, I can't seem to find side effects that lactulose has that miralax doesn't. Does anyone know if it's actually worth the switch?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe I have read that miralax should not be mixed and saved for later and the only thing I remember reading is that will thicken over time when pre-mixed. That would mean adding more water and therefore reduce the potency. I do want to say that both miralax and lactulose are osmotic agents meaning that they draw water into the colon to soften stool, which is a more 'natural' way to help with constipation than some other forms of laxatives. I doubt that there are too many differences between them, except I have read that miralax works faster, but that may not be as much of an issue when one is taking it regularly. The only other difference that I know of is that miralax is supposed to be tasteless, whereas lactulose apparently is not, and cats (and people) may not like the flavor. I think it can be compounded to mask it but if it is like most compounded meds (at least the ones I've been exposed to) it rarely is successful.

Hopefully other members will come along soon and offer their personal experiences!

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I can’t answer your question, but I wondered if he would lick up something he thought was a treat. I’ve mixed meds with Beechnut or Gerber Stage 2 protein-only baby food. It wouldn’t take very much to mix in the Miralax. You want a baby food that is a protein only although the Gerber contains cornstarch. It should have no onions or other additives. Please read labels carefully!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you call the manufacturer of Miralax and ask them about mixing up a batch of it and see what they say. I have not heard that it thickens up (thought that was a good thing about it - no odor, taste and it doesn't gel up)

I don't know about side effect but have been giving it to one of my cats consistantly for several years with no issue.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call the manufacturer of Miralax and ask them about mixing up a batch of it and see what they say.
And don't say that you are using their product on a cat because then they won't help you at all because of liability and all that. Miralax is a Human medication after all, not a pet one. No one at Miralax customer service will have any clue about using the product off label for pets and they're probably not even allowed to answer such questions anyways.