Switching from Free-Feeding Dry Food to Timed-Feeding Wet Food

ariinya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! And Happy New Year's Eve!!!! :woohoo: May this year be better than last, yes (and isn't THAT setting a low bar)?

As the subject says, I'm ringing in 2021 by changing my kitties' food! I haven't chosen what kind of food yet, though a friend gave me a bit to try them on, see what they like. So I'm finding my smaller cat to be a bit pickier. She turns her nose up at anything that's been in the fridge, even though I cover any leftovers with tinfoil or a lid for the can.

Honestly, I think I would say blurgh to stone-cold leftover food, too. Is there anything I can do to possibly engage her appetite when it comes to these leftovers (and I don't like serving my bigger kitty cold food, either, but if I get it out, they want it "Nyow, momma, nyow nyow nyow!!!!")?

Also, I'm having absolute OCD when it comes to trying to get serving portions exactly right. I know around how many calories I need to be feeding my cats, it's just trying to figure out how many scoops of food that is that's really making my head explode! :eek:

So Sammy is around 18lbs, I believe (8.2kg), and I'd like him to lose some weight, so I'm calculating for a 15lb (6.8kg) cat. Molly is 10lbs (4.5kg). They're both indoor only. So Sammy needs 300 calories a day, Molly 200. Now each meal I open a can, and I'm like... "Okay, what're 100 calories of this? How do other people figure this out?! Oh no, my babies are hungry, I'll wing it for now..."

I need to figure this out before it drives me insane, though! Help! (And sorry for how wordy my posts always get. >_> I'm a blabbermouth. "Talking" things out just helps me understand a bit better.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Ditto about the New Year!!

I would say to start off with, find out how many calories they are currently eating, just so you have an idea of their current intake. That will be especially crucial with you wanting Sammy to lose weight. His caloric intake shouldn't be reduced dramatically at one time. For example, if Sammy is eating 400 calories a day now, it would probably be a wise thing to reduce him from 400 to 375 a day for a week and then reduce it by another 25 calories each week until you reach 300. It helps the cat's system better adapt over time to eating a lesser amount of food.

You can find calorie counts of canned food online if the can doesn't list it. So, if you are going to feed them the same food - and, without going overboard in your calculations - a 5oz can with 200 calories could be split into 4 parts of 50 calories each. Separate the can into 4 containers of equal amounts, and go from there on how much you plan on giving each cat. You can cover the remaining containers for the next meal. It isn't 100% exact, but probably enough to get pretty close to the amount you want to feed each of them.

As far as avoiding cold food, depending on your feeding schedule you can leave out the remaining portions for the next meal - most canned foods can be left out for hours (especially if they are covered). Or, you can refrigerate them, but get them out an hour in advance of the next meal time. If that turns out to still be too cold, you can set the container in another larger container that has some warm water in it, in order to get it closer to room temp.

Another thing to consider is that your cats may need some adjustment time to adapt to canned food after eating only dry. So, you may have to leave out some dry for them, and slowly reduce how much you leave out so that they learn to expect less and less as the weeks pass. That being the case, you need to factor that into your canned food allotments so that as the dry is reduced, the canned is increased. And, of course, you will have to measure what you put out in dry and re-measure any that is left over after each meal to help with keeping track of overall caloric intake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ariinya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner (and hello Feeby!). Thank you for the response! :wave3:

At the moment I'm still feeding my cats their dry food mostly, just slowly increasing portions of wet food so they don't get sick. It's more of a treat right now than a meal. I'm just trying to plan for the near future... and absolutely scaring myself into a panic attack! :runaround:But I do hear what you're saying about slowly reducing his caloric intake. One of my next purchases is going to be a scale (as mine was stolen mid-move! Grrrr!) so I can finally weigh my babies properly!

I'll try to do that with the cans. I might have to keep a daily chart or something. My memory is so messed up, it's hard to remember what I've actually fed them. Speaking of that, I still haven't chosen times. Are there good times to feed cats who are on timed-feeding? I've been waking up at 4am everyday to give them their dry food for the day; will that have to change? I have to get up at 4am regardless of the cats. :p

The problem with taking out the food early is me. >_> Truly. I am so forgetful. I write notes to myself, then forget all about the notes! So I think I'll certainly be taking the warm water advice. ^_^; Often.

I really appreciate the answer, even though I know I'm being utterly ridiculous. May your day be wonderful and your night filled with color and wonder and kitties cuddling with you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A baby scale is a great idea! I weigh Feeby weekly on one. I also chart Feeby's food - all started when she mysteriously started to lose weight (never did it before then). But, once you get into the hang of it, it isn't all that bad. You can give them the dry at 4AM, but know how much you are putting out and keep an eye on how much they eat of it. It will be harder to know who is eating how much - but you probably already have idea anyway. Even better if they have separate bowls - but that is still no guarantee to know who is eating more if they eat from each other's dishes.

Timed feeding will likely be more often as you transition them from free dry feeding since I am guessing they are accustomed to eating whenever they want. I have never set Feeby on an actual schedule, so I just keep an eye on her dish over the course of the day. Ultimately, she gets 3-4 meals a day, and I think that is most appropriate, tbh. Though some cats do well with just twice a day. I would suggest 4 times a day, if you can, and see how that plays out over time. People who like to feed more than twice a day but work also have used actual timed feeders that will open at designated times when they are absent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ariinya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've looked at those timed feeders! They're really interesting. I also need to get a fountain for my cats. I know, I know, bad me that I don't have one... but mine don't play much with running water.

I had planned on twice a day, but I think I'll take your advice. But now I have to rethink everything!!!! :eek:

It's not so bad since I'm almost always home, so no troubles there. And no, my cats have been using the same bowl. They're very cooperative. But my larger cat is a glutton, so I always make sure my smaller one eats.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm still a newbie, but I microwave leftover cat food for 7 or 8 seconds, which seems enough to take the chill off but not enough to make it hot. Granted, I did that from the time kitty was 4 months old, so she probably didn't know any better.