Switched cell carriers finally

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I switch from Sprint to T-Mobile this week. The phones are in the mail ( multiple phones for a family plan). My brother and I both have the G1 (Google phone) coming as it seemed like a less expensive yet more useful alternative to a Blackberry at $98 with a plan compared to $179 for the Blackberry Curve 8900. We both wanted email capability via phone with me starting law school in September and him also starting law school presumably a year from September. Our mother already has a T-mobile Blackberry through her law firm, so she just ordered the free voice phone. How is T-Mobile? How is the G1 phone? I hope we're not making a mistake. We intentionally switched away from Sprint because after about 15 years of being with Sprint we have never once felt satisfied or happy with our service and especially customer service. We always walked out of the Sprint store feeling like we had been slapped in the face and insulted. (to be fair, my brother and I have only had Sprint since about 1999 whereas our mother had it in the early '90s as one of those HUGE car phones).

When I searched, Verizon was too expensive, AT&T was the same, MetroPCS didn't seem to have the kind of service we wanted, but T-Mobile had great pricing with my student discount applied to the entire plan resulting in less cost for more minutes and more capability, like unlimited text messaging and data for my brother and myself. My friend has T-Mobile and she tells me she's very pleased with the customer service. I looked at the coverage map for T-Mobile and it seemed to be about on par with the other carriers. There's maybe a few spotty areas in remote rural places, particularly far north, like in northern Minnesota, but otherwise it seemed fine.

I think my brother liked the G1 because it's an iPhone knockoff. I just liked the larger keyboard and touch screen. Also, the integrated Gmail as well as GPS with Google Maps LiveMaps was a big seller. I use gmail for my email and having a GPS version of Google Maps seemed like a great idea for learning a new city. I've got the Garmin in the car, so this would be like a pedestrian GPS for me.

Anyways, getting back to the question. Is T-Mobile good? Is the G1 good? Any issued I should know about?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been with T-Mobile for the last 6 years, and I love them... The customer service is GREAT... Like any cell phone service, you will always have areas with weak signals, but I travel extensive all over the country, and unless I am driving in the boonies, I am covered.
You did a good thing in getting the G1 - the Curve SUCKS.
Anyway, good luck - I think you did the right thing.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had T-mobile for 5 years and they have been great! Customer service is A+. I have a Blackberry Curve pay 95 for unlimited everything, minutes, texts, bb internet etc

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tmobile and have for years. I can travel and not have a probelm either. Europe is a huge tmobile area! Never had a probelm with CS and I think the plans are very competitive.