switch from lactulose to miralax (PEG3350)

Paulaei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I have been giving lactulose to my 10 and a half year old cat for a year and a little more who has constipation problems with an already dilated colon close to megacolon, as well as kidney problems. He is currently on a lactulose dose of 2ml every 12 hours, and Dr. authorized us to switch to miralax (PEG3350) since the lactulose was not having the proper effect. He told us that the proper dosage is trial and error but that we should start with 1/4 of an envelope of PEG3350 (the envelope has 17g) It's like approximately 4 grams every 24. I have read on the forum that they usually give it every 12 hours, ¿is it better? Does anyone work just by giving it every 24? Or has anyone gone from a high dose of lactulose to Miralax who can tell me about their experience? The other thing, have you weighed the grams that correspond to 1/8 or 1/4 of a tsp? And how long should I wait to see results or worry because it doesn't even do poop? I read them ❤, thank you very much.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes that's the right starting dosage. 1/4 tsp twice a day. I started with Nobel and the next morning he had a good poo. But the vet had cleared his colon before.
I think other times it's taken 24 hours to work.

You MUST ensure that it's fully dissolved before you put it in their food.

I did not weigh it instead. And yes, eventually you might be able to give it once per day or even every other day but first you have to help them clear out with the higher dosage.

After two weeks, we went to 1/4 tsp every other day. Then in a few months 1/8 tsp every other day.