Swelling on cats head/above nose

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to let my outdoor cat out until I noticed he looked weird and suddenly, bam I see the swelling. It freaked me out so I called the vet and sent them pictures. They said to monitor and see him in the morning.

He's fine within himself for the most part, just a little less vocal than he usually is (he could just be nice to me today lol). He still is vocal and meowing to go outside earlier, has eaten both dry and wet food so a good appetite. He has no wounds on the site of swelling which is what I thought it may be.

He does have old and healed wounds from cat fights that got infected. They were treated topically, but not with antibiotics. Wounds healed fine, but not all of the stuff came out inside so he had little bump. It is not infected though.

Even vet thinks its okay for now, it worried me a ton. Any ideas?

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would have your cat checked for crypto coccus. It is a fungas that is picked up from the soil or bird droppings. It could be other things, but it is not something to just watch and see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did actually see that online when I was searching! Think it's an infection since its burst open under its own pressure (literally just looked for a cut and it popped on its own) and is weeping puss. Thank you!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that’s got to hurt! I hope you are taking him in now. That’s not the best place to have an abscess. Good thing you noticed it quick.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Either way, he needs to see a vet because this appears to be an undefined problem which means you could be on a slippery slope with another issue following and because it might be painful for him.

I did have a cat with cryptococcus and it does affect the nose appearance. It absolutely needs veterinary attention if that is what it is...hoping it is not.

Ksbluee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, that’s got to hurt! I hope you are taking him in now. That’s not the best place to have an abscess. Good thing you noticed it quick.
Sorry forgot to update! The vets weren't concerned and told me to come in the next morning, but the appearance of it made me worry so I was watching him most of the night (wasn't too happy about him not being seen).

He's at home after having a strong antibiotic injection and swelling is mostly gone! It ended up being such a small cut im honesty surprised it got infected. He's all better now. Thank you

Ksbluee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Either way, he needs to see a vet because this appears to be an undefined problem which means you could be on a slippery slope with another issue following and because it might be painful for him.

I did have a cat with cryptococcus and it does affect the nose appearance. It absolutely needs veterinary attention if that is what it is...hoping it is not.
That was the worry for me. It being on his head and the swelling he had instantly rang alarm bells for me. I thought better safe than sorry and considered taking him to out of hours vets too as I didnt want to wait until the morning. They really tried reassuring me that he doesn't need to come in as he's fine otherwise (he was eating for 2 lol). All in all, he is mostly good now and on the mend!

I also thought it was that as it resembled it so much. Ended up being an abscess from a tiny tiny prick on top of his head. No idea how it got infected. I didnt even feel anything when inspecting until it burst

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it was just a small puncture wound, it's possible it was a cat bite?

I know one I used to constantly watch for when I had outside cats was a small puncture wound, because they're very hard to see, and I believe they often go unnoticed (especially under the jaw, if you can imagine another cat chomping down, the bottom teeth line up with under the jaw?)

Glad it's being treated, keep us posted!