Sweetie Cat Age 19 Lost His Brother 2 Months Ago, Not Happy At All.

UnicornV

Lucky Tuna :)
Kitten
Purraise
I posted last month about Sweetie my 19 year old cat asking if I should adopt another cat or not. I don't think it would be a great idea to introduce another right now, I have a 20 year old dog as well. What I am wondering is how can I make him feel better? He is so needy now. I feel terrible, I am trying to do everything I can to make him happy. I consulted with my vet and she said just give it time. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss :( :hugs: It's always tough to lose a cat, and even tougher when the surviving animals are grieving too. I think giving it time is all you can do. Sweetie needs to grieve his brother in his own way and in his own time. Give him space if he wants it, affection if he wants it, and try to keep to his normal routine as far as possible, as that alone will be reassuring to him.
Do Cats Mourn?

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's really nothing I can add here as well. I'm so sorry for yours and Sweetie's loss. Getting another senior cat may be helpful but if they were brothers and spent 19 yrs together I just don't know. It could go either way. Maybe a rescue would let you do a trial bases and you could try it. A lot of them will let you do a 2 week trial. Other than that just be there for each other and hopefully with time Sweetie will get better.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have(had) a brother and sister cat who were totally inseparable since birth. They ate together, slept together, groomed each other, played together, sometimes fought...but very quickly made up and were back cuddling with each other again.

Unexpectedly, we lost the brother cat last November. The sister grieved, would not eat, just moped around and slept. We had to take her to the vet several times for fluids and shots to boost her up. Over time, a couple of months, she came around and is now doing ok.

While we could not take her brother's place, we compensated by giving her a lot of extra attention, extra play, extra cuddling and lap time. We have grown even closer as result. She is doing fine and has adjusted to her new life.

I agree that it would not be a good idea to introduce a new cat into your household now. Your cat has had enough change and any new cat would only cause unnecessary stress.

Ironically, my cat has two other biological sisters here, but she has not grown closer to them since she lost her brother. The relationship they had before remains the same.

Just give Sweetie the best possible life free of stress that you can from here on out.
I think this is what he most wants in the sunset of his life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnicornV

Kitten
Purraise
I have(had) a brother and sister cat who were totally inseparable since birth. They ate together, slept together, groomed each other, played together, sometimes fought...but very quickly made up and were back cuddling with each other again.

Unexpectedly, we lost the brother cat last November. The sister grieved, would not eat, just moped around and slept. We had to take her to the vet several times for fluids and shots to boost her up. Over time, a couple of months, she came around and is now doing ok.

While we could not take her brother's place, we compensated by giving her a lot of extra attention, extra play, extra cuddling and lap time. We have grown even closer as result. She is doing fine and has adjusted to her new life.

I agree that it would not be a good idea to introduce a new cat into your household now. Your cat has had enough change and any new cat would only cause unnecessary stress.

Ironically, my cat has two other biological sisters here, but she has not grown closer to them since she lost her brother. The relationship they had before remains the same.

Just give Sweetie the best possible life free of stress that you can from here on out.
I think this is what he most wants in the sunset of his life.[/QUO

thank you babiesmom5, this makes me feel better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnicornV

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all, especially babiesmon5! I am just going to go day by day right now somehow :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thinking of you and Sweetie, and your dog as well. It is so hard when they get older. And all you can do is all you can do.