Sweet Cat But Attacks Legs When I Walk

tpeluso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
image.jpg
My mom found this beautiful very sweet cat outside. She took her to the vet and she’s fixed, declawed and said to be 1-2 years old. We posted about her and are trying to find her owner but there’s no luck so far. We have 4 other cats and 2 dogs but we keep her in our basement where other pets can’t get to her. She has plenty of food, a litter box and water and meows when we come into the room. When we’re sitting down she’s a very sweet cat and she purrs and lets me pet her head and she sleeps on me. When I am standing and try to walk however, she starts pushing air out of her nose in a steady beat and wraps her front legs around my leg and bites me. She broke skin on my mom and recently mine. She doesn’t hiss or growl. The only way we’ve gotten her to not to it is if we distract her when we walk or walk slowly, sometimes she lays on her side right in front of our feet. We’re not sure what to do, we want to give her a good home but we want to be sure she won’t attack legs.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs lots of play, Is there anyway you can eventually integrate her into the household? For my punk I just yelled "OW!!!!!!" the two times he did it and then chased him off clapping my hands... then ignored him until I stopped swearing in my head ;) Since she has done it before it will take a while to break. Do not reward the behavior. When you see her on her side, that usually means they want to play. I have heard people recommend tossing a kickaroo away from you to help with attacking kitties. Either way I would keep a couple of toys in my pocket for her. Lastly she must be bored in the basement. How much people time does she get every day? Can you lock up your pets for a couple of hours & let her have most of the house with you?

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenever I feed my 18mnth old she play swipes at my legs like she trying to "hunt". Some kind of confused autonomic response (I'm guessing).
Sometimes my cat gets overstimulated and "affection bites" me. These used to hurt sometimes but consistent communication and reaction should teach to ease up. State "Ow" or "too hard" and immediately remove yourself and if it's while feeding remove food. Over time that should get it.