Swaying head?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I posted last night about Lucy having these "tic" like movements. Tonight, she got up on me as usual at bedtime...and she started these weird movements with her head. I am actually in panic-mode now. In the one, you will see her looking away from me and I moved her head back so I could get the video. The other my flashlight was on so she's squinting...but in both, notice the weird bobble-head movements. Can this be related to the tic-like jolts?? It almost looks like it could be nodding off to sleep, though, she was wide awake and wasn't on me more than a minute before this started. Please don't be alarmed at her wounds from all of this...they are actually healing now!

Weird jolt/startle-like movement.

VideoLu

VideoLu2

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I see what you are talking about and wonder if it could be a progression of the facial ticks. I just don’t know. I have seen electrolyte imbalances cause of neck movements.

Unfortunately a vet needs to see this.
What meds is she on ?
What food?
She doesn’t look like she feels well to me at all.
Is her walking ok?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say that she's swaying her head in the classic sense but she does look sick and lethargic.

How did she get wounded like that? Could there be any connection between the wounds and the illness and lethargy?

I have a feeling they might be. I think you need to get her to a vet, right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy has periodontal issues and is on Clavamox. This is the first antibiotic that hasn't caused her to limit her food intake. She now will come out and be a bit social ...chase the laser light, and she scarfs down the food. We switched vets a few weeks ago because our original one dropped the ball on everything with her. This has been an issue since October. Her infection is in just one side. This mutilating started about 2 weeks before I switched vets. It is due to the infection on that side....(previous vet said it was a reaction to the hyperthyroid meds). we were given a topical steroid powder to help her. When this clears, we were planning extractions....though, she is 19 in age. Her bloodwork is immaculate, though (aside from the thyroid, but they were on the low end of normal.)

Lucy tearing jaw apart...

Last edited by a moderator:

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the first time I've seen this in her, too! Could this be a seizure of some type? I don't have a good feeling about any of this...but it's strange! When we go to the vet, she so incredibly social and her tail is high in the air...and then this when we get home. I read some things like this can be a reaction to mouth pain (amongst other things listed such as certain antibiotics, brain tumors, and more obvious reasons).

Lucy is eating canned food due to her mouth...and she is eating amazingly well. We are giving her things that she will eat....Fancy Feast. Sheba is another she is loving. The best I've seen her eat in a few months. This antibiotic hasn't impacted her eating! First one in 2 months! Before we went to this new vet, the other had her on pain meds, ear drops for a potential polyp (could one of those cause this?), numerous antibiotics, hyperthyroid meds, and did not recommend extractions. New one does, but this just happened tonight. I just hate all of this for her (and me!). At what point do you say enough?

I will put a call into the vet in the morning. I just want to vomit....It's just taking a huge toll on me emotionally. :(. Poor cat can't talk...she has no idea what is going on and why. Ugh.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh!! And when she is walking, I haven't noticed it, though, in my searches online about this stuff, I came across hyperesthesia. I've totally seen Lu do some of those things...for years not realizing it was a "thing". She'll be walking and then stop suddenly to lick her side or scratch her ear. Just abruptly stop mid stride to take care of business.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We are not vets, so I am only commenting on what you have observed. In my experience, and I stand to be corrected, this does not look like hyperesthesia or seizures as I have seen experienced by any cat I have owned. As was stated above, I do see what looks like lethargy and weakness, maybe even attempting to keep the head upright and I would get electrolytes checked. An ear polyp could cause a balance issue. I completely sympathize with you that there is a huge amount to try to figure out.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet wanted to see her before they closed for the weekend to make sure she would be ok. Lucy is not doing any of this when she is on her feet or sitting. We were not able to replicate it at the clinic. She told me it could be vestibular. She told me it could be a reaction to the pain. She still has some swelling on her cheek area but looks like some of it has gone down but wants to extend her antibiotics for a few more days and gave her 3 days of a pain and see if it helps resolve it. She suggested to get a biopsy during her extractions if the swelling still hasn't subsided. So, she isn't worried about the head movements...there was nothing to suggest immediate urgency. For whatever it's worth, I have not seen it since the middle of the night last night. Praying it does not repeat tonight....my anxiety can't hack it.