Surrogating Mother

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had kittens four weeks ago, she has 3 of them.
Today my friend found 3 new born kittens abandoned and tangled in twine in her shed. They were starving. We brought them over to see if my cat, Macy would nurse them.
She immediately started cleaning them, and nursing them. Only problem is she keeps getting up in the middle of nursing to check on her four week old kittens.
We have no idea how long these other kittens went without food, they look to be 1-3 days old. They were not cold when she found them, but they were not warm.
I don’t want to stress her out too much, it was just something we tried to see if we could get them warm and fed.
Since she has taken to it, it seems, should we continue? Or should we see if a rescue would take them?

Picture is of Arlo her four week old, and one of the babies.

Attachments

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to supplement mom cats's food with kitten kibble, tinned, plus give a saucer or two of Kitten Milk Replacement as long as she is nursing. It will provide her the extra calcium, protein, and fat she needs for milk production.

FDo the newborn kittens have fleas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to supplement mom cats's food with kitten kibble, tinned, plus give a saucer or two of Kitten Milk Replacement as long as she is nursing. It will provide her the extra calcium, protein, and fat she needs for milk production.

FDo the newborn kittens have fleas?
No fleas, thank god. I gave mom a bowl of kitten formula and I gave her kitten food with powdered formula sprinkled on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are doing well.
She doesn’t seem to understand that they are too young to come and find her to nurse, because her older ones do, so I have to bring them to her when she lays down to nurse.
It will be a hard first two weeks I think but should be okay after that.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you weighing the kittens daily?

Mom needs unlimited kitten kibble and meals of wet kitten food. Really make sure that she is getting tons of high quality food to keep her and babies healthy.

Can you keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males? She can already get pregnant again.