Surgery of digit removal

innerhippo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 12 week kitten who while I was at work somehow got her paw stuck between glass and frame on my side table . It was a freak accident but she ended up severing the claw part of her front left paw. After seeing the emergency vet he said she would have to have digit amputation. So yesterday morning she had it removed. Today she has been very vocal but doesn’t want me to touch her. Any ideas on how long it will take to heal and she will put more weight on it?
I am just trying to keep her comfortable and feeling safe for now while it heals.
Pic of the cutie coming home yesterday.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Years ago I had this done on a dog who had a compromised toe. I see that your little cutie does have what appears to be a securely bandaged paw, although I assume that there might be some difference in treating a small cat versus a larger dog. The dog had a very stiff piece of metal along the back of the bandaging, so that he was able to use the paw to balance and walk. No, he was not running around the yard, but it did protect the toe area from any pressure. If your baby is bandaged with a softer wrapping, it may still be painful.

One day out, he was very sore. He came home with painkillers, including a pain patch, although I am not encouraging you to ask for one if the vet did not use it as there can be side effects.

You are definitely in a window where this is still new and sore, although if something seems amiss or she does not start to use the foot, let the vet know. I assume that there is a return trip to the vet at which time the foot might even be rebandaged. Let her rest and do what she feels up to. Watch for oozing or an odor from the bandage, although I am not saying that she will not have an uncomplicated recovery.