Surgeon Atlanta Area

GAKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello wonderful cat folks!

I've only lurked in the cat forum world for a long time despite having two 8-year old rescue kitties, Fred and Leo. We just recovered from Fred throwing a clot in his right leg 6 months ago -- and I've been thinking that separately I will write that up now that he's fully recovered (I just knocked on wood) because that experience was terrifying and everyone told me we didn't have a month. But that's not my issue today.

The vet just told us that our other boy Leo has a sarcoma/cancer that needs to be removed and we are waiting to hear from a surgeon she is referring us to. It's a large mass we only recently caught because before it grew it just seemed like it was part of his butt -- he's a pretty big kitty (14 lbs). But now it's pushing his tail to the left, along with his 'boy parts'. It isn't bad yet. He isn't in any pain. It's moveable and soft. The vet had never seen anything like it before taking a biopsy and sending it off to UGA. Of course they gave him Zorbium and he's on the 4th day of that - never again. Otherwise he's chipper.

My question is just for any referrals for surgeons in the Atlanta area. I will read through the forums for experiences with removing sarcoma masses as well -- but we need to see a surgeon yesterday so I wanted to get a post up asap. Thanks for this wonderful site!!

71252666857__E57613B5-FE7A-4EED-A75F-BD96DAF4208F.JPG

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GAKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for that map! I will update the thread for sure...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GAKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi folks -- just updating everyone along our journey. We had an appointment yesterday morning at a very reputable vet near us (Dogwood in Marietta) -- one we went to when the other cat threw a clot - and they were great (very expensive though but that is to be expected). But after 3 minutes I knew we should have gone to Blue Pearl so I asked her if she agreed -- and basically she did. Oncology and surgery under one roof. I asked her if she would put in a referral and she immediately contacted them. We thanked her for being honest--knowing this surgery is a big ticket item.

Her only word of warning was that he may lose his tail because getting a clean margin on that left side would be challenging. Not the end of the world.

We now have an appointment for Aug 22 (their soonest) and are on the cancellation appointment list as well. I'll update this thread afterward. In the meantime, Leo is peppy and pain-free.

View attachment 456523

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for letting us know. When I needed those services for my dog, oncology and surgery, I used the same facility and it was much more convenient. August 22 is not too far off; it is good to hear that Leo is comfortable.

I have had several ferals who have lost tails because of fights and had no trouble with that amputation. While a tail is an important part of a cat's body/spine, it is more important to get this resolved as efficiently as possible.