Support For Socializing Feral Momma Cat

rcoggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I am in need of support from you guys. I trapped a feral cat and her 4 day old kittens on April 5th. It was from my work and, through the grapevine, I got word that some stupid a$$hole was going to kill them. (Yes I contacted animal control, but they can't do much without proof and the grapevine people were too scared to come forward.) So, I jumped into action and trapped all 8 cats. They have been with me for almost 2 weeks now. The kittens are developing very well and the socialization is progressing well. My problem is the momma cat. I have tried everything suggested on here and other sites, such as Alley Cat Allies and many more to gain her trust. I visit with her, talk sweet to her, try to get my hands close to her, and it seems like there is no progress. She has allowed me to pick up her kittens and bond with them, with no issues. It's just some days she is super hissy and just this weekend started "spitting". Tonight, after feeding her, I was talking with her a bit and moved some blankets from the other side of the crate that she does not seem to fond of. She began hissing, spitting and lashed out at me for the first time. It scared me, I jumped and hurt my arm. Now, I am absolutely disheartened. I'll never get her socialized enough to get her adopted and I feel like I failed her in some way. I guess I'm not doing this right. It's my first time trying to socialize ferals, so I am kinda just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, per say. I was working about 80 - 90 hours a week and began taking some time off to spend with these cats. I am, also, taking time away from my own cats. At this moment, I feel like I am wasting my time trying with momma kitty. What do I do? Thanks for listening.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm barreling through a work project I have to finish tonight so I can't say much until morning - but wanted to at least let you know that I know how you feel, I've been there (as many of us on here - particularly in this forum) have been, and it's emotional, scary, unnerving, daunting, you name it. I'll absolutely, positively write more in the morning soon as I can. I know how hard it is to sit there, feeling defeated. But at least know this - - - you've absolutely, positively saved those kittens from, at best, a very short, hard life filled with hunger and fear. And whichever way things go with momma, there are many of us here can help you work through options with her as far as how to socialize, and even what your options are if, in the end, socialization isn't for her. It sounds like you've got a giant heart and are willing to research, try options, and listen to others. Momma and babies sounds like they're where they need to be for the moment. Don't give up yet by any means.

I'm sure you'll get support beyond me too - -- this site has wonderful people with TONS of experience --- and very broad shoulders to lean on.

I'll log in with actual suggestions in the morning. I just didn't want you to be sitting waiting all night at the computer with no answers (although the people overseeing this site are very good at making sure people don't fall through the cracks). I wanted you to know people ARE listening and DO care....I promise I'll log on in the morning and wade in deeper. Go to bed tonight knowing help's on the horizon!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have her in a crate? If so, would it be possible to allow her some more space by giving her and the kittens a room of their own? Feral cats especially get very stressed by confinement, and her patience may be wearing thin. When the kittens are weaned, I hope you will get her to a vet to be spayed. If she shows no signs of adjusting to indoor life several weeks after the spay, perhaps you could release her outside and care for her as an outdoor cat. From my experience, female feral cats have an easier time adjusting to indoor life than male cats, so there is a lot of hope that once she's spayed she will settle down. She may be going into heat again now, which would explain her restlessness. You have definitely saved those kittens and socialized them, and now they will be adoptable and have great lives. Are you planning on keeping any of them?

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel you. I feeeeeel you. Ive socialized many cats our hardest was boots he literally attacked my boyfriend. Now momma Will be more protective then a boy. But feed her sit and talk to her. Read to her in 5 to 10 minute intervals dont make eye contact. Time. Time and treats will be your friend. The babies will be your saving grace as they grow older. She Will see their interaction with you and learn you aren't so bad. Im totally here if you need me. Im very experienced with taming and would love to help in any way possible.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a hissy semi feral cat in my house with her kittens. After she was fixed and released she became a sweetheart. She's not completely tame, but I spend very little time with her. I believe as long as the kittens are around, she has to be the fierce protector mom and look out for her babies. So you are the enemy. After the babies are gone, she may come around.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. How many cats do you have of your own? Any chance that you could keep mama cat, either as an indoor or outdoor cat? I tamed my two ferals, but I don't think that I could ever have adopted them out. Older ferals seem to bond with their person, but if you were to adopt her out, that person would pretty much have to tame her all over again to them. I agree, a room would work better than a crate. Ferals hate to be locked up. Thanks for helping them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rcoggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all of the replies, I will address each one after I get off of work. I have them in 2 large 36" crates with the slide up door attached to one another. They are currently in my guest bedroom. I'm very concerned about her bolting out and running into my cats if I let her roam free in the room. Additionally, I will need to take out all of the furniture so she won't destroy it all. I'm also very terrified if she's not contained that she might attack me. I'm very unsure of my capabilities and feral behavior. So there's the gist of the roaming free in the bedroom concerns. All comments/suggestions regarding this roaming in the room situation are greatly appreciated.

rcoggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have her in a crate? If so, would it be possible to allow her some more space by giving her and the kittens a room of their own? Feral cats especially get very stressed by confinement, and her patience may be wearing thin. When the kittens are weaned, I hope you will get her to a vet to be spayed. If she shows no signs of adjusting to indoor life several weeks after the spay, perhaps you could release her outside and care for her as an outdoor cat. From my experience, female feral cats have an easier time adjusting to indoor life than male cats, so there is a lot of hope that once she's spayed she will settle down. She may be going into heat again now, which would explain her restlessness. You have definitely saved those kittens and socialized them, and now they will be adoptable and have great lives. Are you planning on keeping any of them?
Thank you. I absolutely will be getting her spayed. No, I am not keeping any of them. I'm at max capacity, with 6 cats.

rcoggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. How many cats do you have of your own? Any chance that you could keep mama cat, either as an indoor or outdoor cat? I tamed my two ferals, but I don't think that I could ever have adopted them out. Older ferals seem to bond with their person, but if you were to adopt her out, that person would pretty much have to tame her all over again to them. I agree, a room would work better than a crate. Ferals hate to be locked up. Thanks for helping them!
I have 6 cats of my own and I just don't want to disrupt the harmonious household with another cat. Keeping her outside, IMO, is not the best option. I live in a subdivision and I've heard there are coyotes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To adopt her out, it would have to be a special person or rescue, somebody that would have the patience to re-socialize her to their household.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I learned is to take something with a long handle, like a cleaning brush and rub her back with it. They learn to like having their back scratched and get used to being touched.

rcoggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had a couple of people express interes
To adopt her out, it would have to be a special person or rescue, somebody that would have the patience to re-socialize her to their household.
Yes ma'am, I realize that. Me adopting her is absolutely not an option. I cannot adopt an animal that I am terrified of. I already feel guilty enough, please don't make me feel worse about this. :'(

rcoggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing I learned is to take something with a long handle, like a cleaning brush and rub her back with it. They learn to like having their back scratched and get used to being touched.
I'm afraid to try this. I'm afraid she will lash out and it will just traumatize her. I just don't have enough confidence to do this, I don't think.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid to try this. I'm afraid she will lash out and it will just traumatize her. I just don't have enough confidence to do this, I don't think.
I understand, I would just lower your expectations for her right now, until the kittens are old enough to be weaned. Just let her get used to being around people. Get those kittens socialized and adopted and then focus on the mom cat.

rcoggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I picked up one of the kittens to check on it and held it for a while. The mom did not seem the least bit interested. I had to get very close to her to pick up the kitten. However, when I placed the kitten back in with her, she tried to slap me again tonight. I realize I should just spend time in the room with her, but I have a finite amount of time to socialize the kittens (as all of you know). So, what do I do? Just quit trying to interact for a while or....... I don't know.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In order to avoid getting clawed when picking up the babies, I used a tray or a plastic container cover and put it up as a shield, so I could grab a baby right quick. But since these babies are only two weeks you don't really need to handle them yet. Unless you are weighing them to make sure they are gaining weight. You can wait to handle the kittens till they are about four weeks (IMO).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not making anybody feel bad or guilty! You asked for advice about adopting out a feral. I told you that it's hard to do, that's all. Not very many people are going to want to adopt a wild cat, that's why you have to look for a special person or a rescue.

rcoggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not making anybody feel bad or guilty! You asked for advice about adopting out a feral. I told you that it's hard to do, that's all. Not very many people are going to want to adopt a wild cat, that's why you have to look for a special person or a rescue.
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be) accusatory (is that even a word) or ungrateful. I am very appreciative of all of the advice. I'm just stressed, panicking & very worried about her.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's okay. I know how you feel. My former feral Maggie still smacks me around. She likes hanging out with us, but doesn't like to be touched unless it's her idea.