Supplements And Probiotics

Robin1300

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello...I was curious as to possibly starting my cat on vitamin supplements or probiotics. I believe alot of the vitamins and nutrition are removed when they pressure cook canned food. Does anyone have any advice on this or have introduced into their cat's diet?

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've been using probiotics for my cats for awhile now. I was using Wholistic Feline Digest (the powder, must be refrigerated)for a couple years and it worked well except that after a few weeks, it develops a bad odor.

I am now using Renew Life, 15 billion cfus, (human grade, also refrigerated) and I'm pretty satisfied with it. One cat is FHV and since using probiotics, the black discharge he used to get in his eyes has mostly disappeared, probiotics did a far better job with that issue than lysine ever did. :D
Plus it has helped with digestive issues.

I wouldn't add any vitamins other than a fish oil supplement, as mentioned above. While it's true that canned food is processed and cooked in the can, foods being "AAFCO approved" (whatever one thinks of AAFCO) I would be concerned about possibly oversupplementing vitamins that may not be water soluble and excreted by the cat.

If you want to provide a more nutrient dense diet for your cat, you could consider a home made raw, cooked or commercial raw / cooked diet. Even adding e.g., 25% of lesser processed meals to your cats' current canned food meals, that would be beneficial.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've been using probiotics for my cats for awhile now. I was using Wholistic Feline Digest (the powder, must be refrigerated)for a couple years and it worked well except that after a few weeks, it develops a bad odor.

I am now using Renew Life, 15 billion cfus, (human grade, also refrigerated) and I'm pretty satisfied with it. One cat is FHV and since using probiotics, the black discharge he used to get in his eyes has mostly disappeared, probiotics did a far better job with that issue than lysine ever did. :D
Plus it has helped with digestive issues.

I wouldn't add any vitamins other than a fish oil supplement, as mentioned above. While it's true that canned food is processed and cooked in the can, foods being "AAFCO approved" (whatever one thinks of AAFCO) I would be concerned about possibly oversupplementing vitamins that may not be water soluble and excreted by the cat.

If you want to provide a more nutrient dense diet for your cat, you could consider a home made raw, cooked or commercial raw / cooked diet. Even adding e.g., 25% of lesser processed meals to your cats' current canned food meals, that would be beneficial.

Good luck. :)
Based on your post I bought Renew Life, and after two days (he gets half pill everyday) his brownish eye discharge (from calicivirus) stopped! So just wanted to say thank you!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Is there any preferred food with which probiotics are better absorbed?
Any wet food should work fine. I actually add a bit of water to wet food so that the various powders I add—including probiotics—dissolve better.