Super Pregnant Foster Cat-when will she give birth?

kattyest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! First time poster here so forgive me for any missteps. I got a super pregnant foster kitty about a week and a half ago and we thought she was going to give birth that night but fast forward and she is still pregnant. She is showing more signs of going into labor soon but not that she is actively in it yet. Her belly has been super hard the past couple of days and the kittens movement seems a bit decreased from a couple days ago but they still move around a lot. She is acting a bit more clingy than usual as she is wanting to be on top of me rather than next to me as she usually likes. She is definitely nesting more than before and digs around in a nest box several times a day the past 2-3 days. Her nipples are enlarged and super dry so I think her milk has come in as well. But she’s acting super happy and mostly normal like she’s not in any discomfort at all so I don’t think she’s in labor… when do you guys think the kittens will come? Also how many do you think she will have? She is HUGE. I am attaching a picture below.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little girl, she looks SO uncomfortable! I have always clung to one thing with pregnant cats, as long as she is eating, drinking, using the litter box, and not hiding, everything is normal. A cat in distress will usually cry out or hide and be silent. Almost any cat that doesn't feel well, or is in pain will stop eating and hide. without knowing when she got pregnant it will be almost impossible to determine when the kittens will be born. Often she will look a little slimmer right before birth as the kittens line up in the birth canal waiting to be born. She will start licking herself more and you may even see the mucous plug that she loses. You will see 'rippling' down her sides, and she will strain. There will be a tightening of her abdomen, and she may moan or cry out. If she is a first-time mom you might want to try to be close when she is giving birth, they often get too exhausted to tend to the kittens properly and may need a little help. Make sure you keep a warm wet washcloth handy to remove any membrane from the kitten's face. Remember they often are not breathing when they are born and need to be rubbed and stimulated into breathing. Mom does this with her tongue. Try to count the afterbirths to make sure they each match up with a kitten. As long as mom is calm, not crying, and taking care of the kittens, everything is well.
This will be an exciting time for you! Bless you, for taking this on, she needed someone to take care of her and you stepped up, thank you!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Giving her some KMR will help replace the calcium she's using making kitty bones. Muscles also need a supply of calcium to do their job, so it's necessary for the birthing process, and she's already used up quite a bit of hers. That's why it's a good idea to give her a calcium supplement. Goats' milk is good too, if that's easier to get.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattyest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor little girl, she looks SO uncomfortable! I have always clung to one thing with pregnant cats, as long as she is eating, drinking, using the litter box, and not hiding, everything is normal. A cat in distress will usually cry out or hide and be silent. Almost any cat that doesn't feel well, or is in pain will stop eating and hide. without knowing when she got pregnant it will be almost impossible to determine when the kittens will be born. Often she will look a little slimmer right before birth as the kittens line up in the birth canal waiting to be born. She will start licking herself more and you may even see the mucous plug that she loses. You will see 'rippling' down her sides, and she will strain. There will be a tightening of her abdomen, and she may moan or cry out. If she is a first-time mom you might want to try to be close when she is giving birth, they often get too exhausted to tend to the kittens properly and may need a little help. Make sure you keep a warm wet washcloth handy to remove any membrane from the kitten's face. Remember they often are not breathing when they are born and need to be rubbed and stimulated into breathing. Mom does this with her tongue. Try to count the afterbirths to make sure they each match up with a kitten. As long as mom is calm, not crying, and taking care of the kittens, everything is well.
This will be an exciting time for you! Bless you, for taking this on, she needed someone to take care of her and you stepped up, thank you!
Thank you so much! Unfortunately this is her second litter 😞. she came in with a 5 month old kitten so this poor girl got pregnant 3 months after her baby was born! Hopefully it goes well as the one day i have to leave for around 4 hours is tomorrow and I just have a feeling that’s when she’s going to go into labor 😂

kattyest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Giving her some KMR will help replace the calcium she's using making kitty bones. Muscles also need a supply of calcium to do their job, so it's necessary for the birthing process, and she's already used up quite a bit of hers. That's why it's a good idea to give her a calcium supplement. Goats' milk is good too, if that's easier to get.
Yes I have Breeders Edge formula I can give her. She’s also eating tons of kitten food. I will give her a bowl today. Thank you!

kattyest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fantastic! She ended up having 6 beautiful babies, 2 girls and 4 boys and they are a little variety pack! Thanks you guys for the tip about the KMR she’s been loving it!

Attachments