Super frustrated, wanting to cry :(

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 recently have been healed of and recovered from the borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder.
There is no such thing as a cure, healed or fully recovered from either Bipolar Disorder, or Border Personality Disorder.  Both are life long illnesses that require on-going treatment and support. There's no cure at present.

Yes, you may feel like you are fully healed or cured, but what you are really in is "Remission", which is different than being cured.  There will likely be life circumstances and triggers in the future that will trigger relapses, followed by treatment and again remission.

IMHO you should continue to see your doctor, and let him decide whether or not you should be stopping treatment. It would be a shame to come so far only to fall back to the beginning of treatment again and having to reapply for disability.

Plus it would eliminate the fear of losing your disability.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no such thing as a cure, healed or fully recovered from either Bipolar Disorder, or Border Personality Disorder.  Both are life long illnesses that require on-going treatment. There's no cure at present.

Yes, you may feel like you are fully healed or cured, what you are really in is "Remission", which is different than being cured.  There will likely be life circumstances and triggers in the future that will trigger relapses, followed by treatment and again remission.

IMHO you should continue to see your doctor, and let him decide whether or not you should be stopping treatment. It would be a shame to come so far only to fall back to the beginning of treatment again.
True........... I guess there is only "remission". Admittedly, school is getting hard to get through...... (emotional wise) but I think I can press on. I probably have been off my meds so long I may need a readjustment period?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bi-Polar is all about moods and emotions.  I seriously think you should continue to see your doctor, and since you are experiencing stress in your life regarding school, medication to keep things in check would not be a bad thing :)

I suffer from depression and take a daily anti-depressant.  I've tried tapering off in the hopes of being able to stop the medication, but I'm very in tune with my moods and how I feel that I realize immediately that something is different.  I know that the reason I feel so well is because of the medication I take, not because the depression is cured.  Last year I was being bullied by a manager and another staff member together, and it sent me into a tailspin of increased depression. I spoke with my family doctor who increased my dose. It took some weeks for things to normalize, but they did.  I continue to take the medication because I like feeling well, and "normal." My happy days are way more frequent than my blue ones. Sure I still feel down at times, but so does everyone. However, it isn't my lifestyle anymore.

Please. See your doctor. You are likely not as much in remission as you would like to think you are.  Things like depression tend to creep up and you don't even realize it is there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bi-Polar is all about moods and emotions.  I seriously think you should continue to see your doctor, and since you are experiencing stress in your life regarding school, medication to keep things in check would not be a bad thing :)

I suffer from depression and take a daily anti-depressant.  I've tried tapering off in the hopes of being able to stop the medication, but I'm very in tune with my moods and how I feel that I realize immediately that something is different.  I know that the reason I feel so well is because of the medication I take, not because the depression is cured.  Last year I was being bullied by a manager and another staff member together, and it sent me into a tailspin of increased depression. I spoke with my family doctor who increased my dose. It took some weeks for things to normalize, but they did.  I continue to take the medication because I like feeling well, and "normal." My happy days are way more frequent than my blue ones. Sure I still feel down at times, but so does everyone. However, it isn't my lifestyle anymore.

Please. See your doctor. You are likely not as much in remission as you would like to think you are.  Things like depression tend to creep up and you don't even realize it is there.

So since I haven't seen him in 8 months, is that going to look like to Social Security that I am "non compliant?" ( I am supposed to see him every 3 months..) so really I only have...... 1 missed appointment.......

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So since I haven't seen him in 8 months, is that going to look like to Social Security that I am "non compliant?" ( I am supposed to see him every 3 months..) so really I only have...... 1 missed appointment.......
Make an appointment :)  There are any number of reasons for not having kept an appointment... .work, school, exams....life/family circumstances.

But when you are on insurance that requires medical proof, you really need to try hard to keep appointments in the future.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, dont cry! :hugs:
I agree with Natalie thst you should keep seeing your doctor and probably stay on meds. You don't want to get off because you feel good only to fall back and then have to start all over again.
I have reoccuring depression that results from my hypothyroidism and aspergers. When an episode starts, I just have to take the meds and *stay* on them even after I feel better because otherwise I end up in the psych ward for a few days. Not something I want to do again..