Summer time weight loss?

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there

my cat has lost about 50% of her weight since the start of summer. We don’t have ac and it’s hot in our house even with window opens. Temps indoor are about 80-90°F. She gets outside time about 1-2 hrs a day to roam while we watch a close eye on her in the garden. She is sleeping per usually and nibbles on her food and seems still interested in food, she just has stopped eating her wet food entirely and mainly nibbles dry food. I think she’s eating about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of dry kibble everyday. She is also drinking water occasionally and I do the skin test on back Of her neck and it’s snaps right back so she’s not dehydrated. She still loves playing and Active and full of energy

everything behavior wise is normal besides eating less and not wet food consumption. I can see her tummy do an indent in right before her hips when she’s standing and I look down on her so she’s def skinny. I can feel her shoulder blade and hips when I pet her but don’t feel her ribs (yet).

has anyone experience their cat losing weight bc of the summer and heat? Should I be concern? First time cat owner with only one summer with the cat, and she didn’t lose weight that last summer.
Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree - her weight loss sounds excessive to be solely related to the heat, especially since she didn't have a similar problem last summer. How old is she? The older she is, the more possibilities of a health-related issue - but, even if she is still fairly young, that still doesn't preclude some sort of health problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s 4! I just called and made an appt with the vet, for Friday afternoon. I hope they give me some logically answer and not just random cat whisper stuff.

She did have those really high creatinine levels and BUN back at mid/end of June when I lasted posted but the vet did her urine sample and they said it was all fine and not kidneys issues possibly dehydration or diet and change her food to be less protein if possible. she was getting wet Rawz which is like 50-60% protein on dry matter calc. I tried to transition her to wet food to something that was 30% protein for like two weeks (this was beginning-ish of July now) and she wasn’t eating much of it and I noted the weight lost so I figured she was being stubborn so I switch back to her old wet food, and she didn’t go back to liking it like she used to.

so pretty much all July she’s been eating 1/4-1/3 cup of dry everyday bc she wasn’t willing to eat more despite behaviorally everything was same. We got a window unit 10 days ago, for our bedroom which I turn on, but shes Not interested in going to the cooler room and it’s had no impact to her food consumption.

two days ago, moved her food tray which used to be near her litter box to see if that made a difference and nothing changed then either. I thought maybe the litter box smell bother her food. Idk. It’s a reach but I’m desperate now

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom , no i don’t have a cat only vet. We’ve been with our vet for two years now and I generally find them very attentive. Despite moving further away we still go to them. Is a feline only vet gonna really be that much more beneficial?

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My only other thought is she caught some virus while chewy on stuff or drinking puddle water in the garden. But even then, she’s not acting sick? Otherwise idk how she could have contract any external sickness so if it’s sickness it’s her internal health development…

I’m at a loss, really.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
High creatinine can be caused by a higher-than-normal protein diet, and BUN can be impacted by dehydration. But, given she is losing so much weight, I am not inclined to think lowering the protein in her diet is going to do anything positive. I also don't quite understand what the vet is thinking by saying her urine sample didn't show signs of kidney issues. While my cat's Urine Specific Gravity is low which is an indicator of possible kidney issues, all my other cat's urine test results are fine - and she has CKD. However, I am not saying your cat has CKD.

I think I would have them re-do the blood work and perhaps also check her B-12 level (not part of the normal blood work), to see if she has some sort of malabsorption issue which could help to explain the weight loss. Ask about other tests that might be appropriate to help explain weight loss. The B-12 test can be part of a 'GI panel' blood test that looks for other gastrointestinal issues as well. Talk to your vet about this.